Wired Wi-Fi Extender (Tomato/DD-WRT)

I have my house wired with CAT-5e. I have my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G w/ Tomato) on the bottom floor at one end of the house. It does manage to cover the entire house, but I would like to use a second identical router I have to provide better coverage. Using WDS is one option, but it takes the wireless and acts as a repeater which halves the bandwidth. I am wondering if there is a way to "daisy-chain" the second router to the first router using the wired WAN/LAN, just on the opposite end of the house. Is it possible to have it act in such a way that the two routers are transparent...that when I look for a wireless network, I would only see one option although it is sent from two routers? I am currently running Tomato, but am willing to go to DD-WRT (or any other option) if Tomato cannot do this. Thanks!

Just set the second router up with the same SSID but on a different channel. Disable routing/DHCP/etc on the second one, connect the cable from the first router to a lan port on the second and give each it's own IP address but point the second's gateway to the first router. google for guides onsetting up wifi roaming for more details.

Just set the second router up with the same SSID but on a different channel. Disable routing/DHCP/etc on the second one, connect the cable from the first router to a lan port on the second and give each it's own IP address but point the second's gateway to the first router. google for guides onsetting up wifi roaming for more details.

I was wondering if that would work...that sounds awesome, thanks!

So I have done this successfully. However, I have read conflicting recommendations on the channel settings of each router. Some say to use the same channel, and others say to use separate channels. Any input as to why that is, and which to do in my application?

So I have done this successfully. However, I have read conflicting recommendations on the channel settings of each router. Some say to use the same channel, and others say to use separate channels. Any input as to why that is, and which to do in my application?

Separate channels helps avoid conflicts; I've never seen suggestions to leave it on the same channel although I suppose some hardware could work that way. Since you said it works I'd just stick with it as it is.

Back