Wire Wrapping

siliconnerd

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a wire wrapping/unwrapping tool to fix a vintage amp I recieved. The only problem is all of the wire wrapping tools I have seen start at $60. There is one at radio shack for $7.50, but it is only for 30 gage wire, and the wire in this amp is 24 gage. Does anyone know where I can get a wire wrapping/unwrapping tool for 24 gage wire for less than $20?

siliconnerd said:
I am looking for a wire wrapping/unwrapping tool to fix a vintage amp I recieved. The only problem is all of the wire wrapping tools I have seen start at $60. There is one at radio shack for $7.50, but it is only for 30 gage wire, and the wire in this amp is 24 gage. Does anyone know where I can get a wire wrapping/unwrapping tool for 24 gage wire for less than $20?
I've fixed a few of these amps... I gave up looking for a proper tool and used a pair of fine needle nose pliers to do the wrapping instead. Wrap the wire around the pliers a bunch of times, then rotate the pliers around the pin a bunch of times, "uncoiling" the wire off the pliers and onto the pin, while holding a bit of tension on the pliers.

Good luck with it. What's the specs on this amplifier?

Ok, I will try that. The amp is a Concept 6.5, which is a house brand of Pacific Stereo and was manufactured in Japan by Tandy Corp. The amp is 65 watts per channel but beyond that I havn't been able to find any info on it. There was an ebay auction for one here . I am currently trying to find more info on the amp, but havn't found anything.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Or just solder it instead. The reason they don't use wirewrap anymore is it solder is easier and more reliable...usually.

Edit That thing doesn't happen to use Sanken power amp modules does it? I had one almost identical to made by either Akai or Technics. It still goes... well the amplifiers do, I took them out and ditched the rest.

Back