WinXPro Install - Freeze at 34 minutes left

FrostBite

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know what is wrong. everytime I try to install windows XP pro, my comp freezes at 34 minutes left. I've tried different motherboard, installing winxp on my 2nd hard drive, different power supply and still no luck. anyone had this problem before or know what the cause might be? everything else works fine, the format, windows cd run, just up to the installation stage.

Bad Memory.
Try running Memtest86 to check your memory for errors.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

is this an OEM disk or a recovery disk from dell or someone.. My companies recovery disk will hang at just about that point if the MOBO isnt bios locked

how do I run mem test? no OS or anything =/

um, it's my "backup" copy of my real cd for full installation. it's worked fine before though.

I had the same problem, for multiple computers that I installed winxp for. It could be many problems. The most common for me was bad memory or a broken cdrom drive.

I've had similar problems and it always came down to a hardware issue. I've had Windows 2000/XP refuse to install on a certain motherboard. Another time it didn't like the video card I was using.

Try DocMemory. It's free and makes a boot disk to tesk memory. If the memory isn't the problem, remove all non-required devices and try again.

I'm not disagreeing with any of these solutions mind you, but that is when Plug N Play runs and queries all the hardware in your system and tries to install drivers. Look at C:\windows\setupapi.log for a clue as to what hardware is hanging your box.

Oh, and get a Real CD. I suggest newegg.

Back