WinXP performance tweaks?

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
Anyone know of some good guides to tweaking XP for higher performance. I already know to revert back to a "Windows Classic" theme with all the fancy effects turned off, and I've got a lot of unnecessary services turned off, but do any of you know of some more advanced tweak guides for enhancing the performance speed under XP? I have read somewhere that although XP has a huge amount of bloat, you can actually do a lot of custom tweaks that make it really zoom along. Any help here would be hot...

There is a program called tweakxp...Kinda interesting to play around with.

fusionrs said:
There is a program called tweakxp...Kinda interesting to play around with.

'yea, I know about it but I'm looking for specific guides to enhancing speed. Tweakxp can easily go both ways depending on what you're tweaking -if I'm not mistaken...

Well, I can list off a couple of things:
1) Turn off System Restore
2) Turn off Indexing

jayjaya29 said:
I follow this guide like a bible. Well not right now, but after my format I will. This guide is good tho. Some of the things require a few programs, but this guide is good.

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm

I can honestly say thatt is the first "tweak guide" I have seen that actually debunks all the common so called tweaks that have absolutely no effect in XP.

The only "tweak" I have problems with is the NTFS 8.3 filename creation switch. They really should have put a stronger warning on it. When this is disabled 8.3 filenames are no longer generated for new files. Files that already have a 8.3 filename will keep them. Files or directories without a 8.3 filename will be compeltely invisible and inaccessable to programs that reference files by their 8.3 filename. Older versions of the very popular InstallShield installer will have major problems with this setting! As well as some self extracting .Zip files made with older versions of WinZip

8.3 filenames are stored as a meta data stream. Metadata streams for files are located in the MFT itself. The 8.3 filename is written when the file's MFT entry is created, so disabling this will not save any time and provide no benefit.

Back