winxp not fully loading?

SL4Y3R

n00b
I have winXP pro installed on my C drive and was noticing some major performance drop in opening applications up. So i restarted and when I did I found that it only loads the background the taskbar, icons, and so fourth do not load up. So I booted into Win2000 which is on my D partition and scanned for viruses and nothing came up... So I proceeded to delele a bunch of crap I had on it since I only had a gig of free space. After deleting a bunch of stuff I tried it again and the same thing happens.

The only problem i face in reinstalling is that my computer doesn't have a floppy drive so boot discs wont work, and the cd of winxp is non-bootable.

Anyone know an alternative way to repair or re-install winxp?
I kinda like to save all my stuff on the hard drive without having to reformat the whole thing.

EDIT: sorry about not posting in the right forum

Mines bootable, not sure about yours.

Basic stuff on slow system loading:

1. Did you join a domain and then a slow boot started to occur? If it did, it's just the server service trying to get the drives shared on the network.

2. Has this always happened or has it just started happening after you installed a program or drivers onto your computer? If it has, let us know or uninstall it if you absolutely don't need it.

3. Run Adware, Spybot, etc to looks for things you don't want on your computer (tracking cookies, registry changes, etc) Some cookies might have changed some registry keys and you may have a lot of unnesceary stuff running in the background

4. Check the task manager and see whats what and what you don't need during start up, if there is stuff that you don't need to boot up when you log into Windows, then go to Start, Run, and type "msconfig" Hit the startup tab and uncheck the stuff that you don't need.

5. Defragment

Try this stuff, you've already ran virus scan, so you should be clear there but make sure you have the latest updates. You don't HAVE to dump it on the first sign of slowness, there are always ways to save the system. You might want to do this stuff on your Win 2k partition as well, something could be messing up your whole system in your files through that OS.

All I can think of for now, let us know if you make any progress.

Back