WinME will not reboot!

jimnms

Gawd
I'm about to take a sledge hammer to this thing. As I said in an earlier post, my sister killed her computer and I built her a new one out of my old parts.

I just did a fresh install of WinME, and now that I've got all of her drivers installed, the damn thing won't reboot anymore.

When I do the start/shutdown/reboot, it acts like it's going to reboot, then I just get a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. I can't reboot it with CTRL-ALT-DEL, I have to hit the reset button.

To top it off, every other time I reset it like that, it locks up on the restart. It doesn't do it every time.

I can shut it down fine, it just won't reoot. How can I fix this? I don't want to have to reinstall again.

I haven't used Win9x/ME in a while, but I thought I remember there being a file like the autoexec.bat that Windows executed during a reboot/shutdown.

autoexec.bat was used at bootup from back in the good ol' dos days. i don't suppose you have any other version of windows you can use?

All she's got is WinME. I've Dos 6.2, Win 3.11, Win95a, WinNT 4, and RedHat 4.2 over on the junk shelf.

I gave away my Win95OSR2, Win98, and Win98SE disks.

I've tracked it down to the SB Live Drivers. I started uninstalling the last few things I remembered installing right before it started screwing up. After uninstalling the SB Live driver, it now reboots fine.

I rebooted several times in a row, then reinstalled everything I uninstalled except the SB Live drivers. I sucessfully rebooted several more times, then reinstalled the SB Live drivers, and now it locks up when rebooting.

This is the exact same system I used before I built the one in my sig, except for the modem. I ran WinME on it for a while but later installed XP, and I never had this problem.

I checked the IRQ's, at first it was sharing an IRQ with the modem, so I changed it in the BIOS, and made sure nothing else was using it. No matter what I set it to, it locks up when I reboot.

all i can say is i really dont know
i had a sb live card working fine under winme until it got upgraded to windows xp ( hint hint :D)

I doubt she'll want to shell out the $$$ for XP.

I think I solved it though. I moved the card to another PCI slot and it seems to be working now.

The slot I had it in was a non shared slot, don't know why it didn't like that one.

for $77 i think we can all handle the upgrade to xp pro.....

check pricewatch

I spoke too soon. I stuck in an ethernet adapter so I can install updates and copy files, and the lockup returns. It doesn't matter what combination of PCI slot I set, the SB doesn't want to cooperate with anything else.

:mad:

Originally posted by jimnms
I spoke too soon. I stuck in an ethernet adapter so I can install updates and copy files, and the lockup returns. It doesn't matter what combination of PCI slot I set, the SB doesn't want to cooperate with anything else.

:mad:

Maybe bad sound card.
Try another sound card and see if the problem is still there.
Also try 2 different PCI cards and see if it still doesnt want to reboot.

Back