WindowsXP locked up- now wont boot up. HELP?

goleith

n00b
Ok so i went to burn a cd and windows just locked up. I attempted to restart the comp and it boots up to windows xp home loading message then before going to the desktop the computer automatically restarts itself. Using the windows xp install disk i found out that the boot sector is corrupted. It wont even let me reinstall windows xp on top of itself. I tried formatting a new hard drive and installing winxp on it then plugged the corrupted hard drive as slave hoping that the other hard drive would allow me to boot then be able to access just the files (word docs, mp3's, ect.) but the comp wont boot with both drives connected. At this point am I stuck losing all my data? Should i just reformat the drive and reinstall winxp on it? I am trying to not lose my old files but don't know what to do.. Any help will be greatly appreicated. Thanks :confused:

Boot to the recovery console from the CD with your corrupted drive connected, run fixboot and/or fixmbr, see if that helps. I'd use fixboot first.

Back