Windows XP Speed up tips

psx-dude

Limp Gawd
Anyone have a good resource or tips for speeding up windows xp?

The only ones I can think of are:

• Turn off Automatic searching for Network Folders and Printers
  • Remove some unneeded Start Icons
  • Remove Internet Explorer Cache and Reduce to ~5-25megs.

I could list them all but instead pick up Maximum PC's Special Issue from the grocery store or book store. It's all you need for now. You can also pick up PC How To Guide called: Getting started with Windows XP, it too has a lot of tips and hacks. You can also download Powertoys/Tweak UI/ X-set-up Pro if you dont like editing the registry. I like X-setup because it comes with an OC'ing utility and works great! Its the most complete of the "tweaking" utilities... Just Google to get it.

I use a program called FreeRamXP pro. What it does is frees up unused ram to maximize performance. Although the program is kinda pointless if you a Ram whore....

Silent Assasin said:
I use a program called FreeRamXP pro. What it does is frees up unused ram to maximize performance. Although the program is kinda pointless if you a Ram whore....

Such programs in 2k/XP work by allocating a shit load of memory to themselves and then immediately releasing it. Forcing some things to be paged out.

In 2k/XP "in focus" programs get memory priority, when a focused application is minimized its working set size is reduced thus freeing up this memory for another application to use.

The FreeRamXP Pro application you run completely works against this model.

Please, stop using such programs, they go completely against the design of 2k/XP's memory management. 2k/XP are modern operating systems with great memory management.

True, and while some may consider the presence of physical memory of 512megs, or more, to be something common only to "ram whores" who are excessive types, bear in mind that today's operating systems need more memory than Win98 and earlier ones. Nothing is a substitute for adequate physical ram. I have a full gigabyte on my rig, and I'm betting that it isn't that uncommon.

Back