Windows XP - SE at office depot

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, som im at office depot talking to my buddie that works there....when, whats this? WindowsXP SE!!! WTF IS THAT? the onyl think i could figure is it has SP2 preinstalled on the disk.......

any info?

Sounds like someone ordered the wrong product for stores in the U.S. XP SE is the Starter Edition Microsoft is selling in other countries.

Interesting... I thought that's not supposed to be sold in the US...

"Windows XP Starter Edition Geographic and Language Availability

Starting in October 2004, Windows XP Starter Edition will ship on new, low-cost desktop PCs available through PC original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and Microsoft OEM distributors in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and, beginning in 2005, Russia and India. Language versions will be available in Thai, Malay, Indonesian, Russian and Hindi."

I'd grab it, if you can afford. It might just be interesting to have.

edit: do you really think ordering the wrong part # would get you something that's not supposed to be available in the US?

Phoenix86 said:
edit: do you really think ordering the wrong part # would get you something that's not supposed to be available in the US?

Heh... Techdata is my main supplier for my business,they have shipped items to me that are not supposed to be sold in the US, of course I returned them and ordered the correct parts :p .

I also have a client who has Netgear switches that were installed by a previous company, again, not supposed to be sold in the US.

I really don't think suppliers keep track since some retailers may deal with international customers.

hmm, well its in english, and it was on the shelf.....

I read that it was a basic run down version, missing, netowrking and multi accounts, very cheap, to keep more users from converting to other "free" or cheap OSes...

I(illa Bee said:
hmm, well its in english, and it was on the shelf.....

I read that it was a basic run down version, missing, netowrking and multi accounts, very cheap, to keep more users from converting to other "free" or cheap OSes...
Yeah, it's bassically a cheap version for 3rd world countries that don't have money to spend on the OS.

MorfiusX said:
Yeah, it's bassically a cheap version for 3rd world countries that don't have money to spend on the OS.

odd choice
1. buy our crippled version
2. steal our full version

Steel Chicken said:
odd choice
1. buy our crippled version
2. steal our full version
The crippled version will be what OEMs sell, it'll come with the PCs. I mean I'm sure it's going to be available over the counter, but the reason for it's existance is OEMs in China. They were going to use linux to keep the total cost below X. The OS was a large percentage of the total cost, at retail prices. MS couldn't let that customer go (which ended up being the whole APAC region) so they had to act. They couldn't just sell the full product cheaper, the people in the US/Europe would just get theirs from overseas. The middle ground is a cheaper OS, with less function.

So they end up
* Making a profit from OEM sales: +1
* Giving lots of people a somewhat worse first impression: -1
* Having a lot of people pay for an OEM version and pirate the full version: Unknown, possibly positive

I don't know. It might be a good idea.
(Is my memory going, or were they planning on limiting it to 800x600 or something like it?)

HHunt said:
So they end up
* Making a profit from OEM sales: +1
* Giving lots of people a somewhat worse first impression: -1
* Having a lot of people pay for an OEM version and pirate the full version: Unknown, possibly positive

I don't know. It might be a good idea.
(Is my memory going, or were they planning on limiting it to 800x600 or something like it?)

i saw that 800x600 thing too, wTF?

I know there is a limit on the resolution, but 800x600 is the requirement. I'm not sure if thats also the upper end, iirc, it was 1024x768.

Let's hope the upper bound is 1024x768, not 800x600. Anything less would just be evil.
(Ok, I wouldn't be too suprised. :D )

Back