Windows XP: Running very slow after reinstall?

Nizmatik

Weaksauce
Hi all.
Now this hasn't been the first time I've reinstalled Windows XP to my machine, however I just can't figure this one out. After reinstalling Windows XP (reinstalled by formatting the drive) the overall performance is very very slow. When I boot the system, it stays on the intial windows xp loading screen (blue progress bar) forever. My hard drive LED doesn't flicker at all until after after ages it will do so then finally crawl into the desktop of Windows. I have reinstalled it to more then 1 drive with the same result. Is this a software related issue or hardware? Could be my motherboard etc? Any ideas?

In addition: Even when logging onto the desktop, it appears my CD's aren't even being read also. I place the CD in the drive and 'My Computer' will just halt. Just thought I'll add that too.

Hi thanks for the reply.
I attempted to load the 975x chipset drivers, except it comes up with an error. Error box showing: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect". I have downloaded different versions however only to come to the same issue. However I'm not sure if they are the chipset drivers at this stage. As said, on many other occassions when I reinstalled the XP, loading into Windows would be quick and I could do it without any issues.

Note: For some reason I don't think this is software related. I received my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium today (good timing) and attempted to install the software. It appears to do the same thing, it loads into the installation but my screen stays on the "Vista Background" and stays there forever. It was on the same screen for about 5 mins, I eventually gave up and just switched off the machine. Again there is no HDD load.

I'm pretty lost now. I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard if that counts for anything.

If the mobo drivers won't load you have a serious problem either in the way you do the setup or in your hardware. At this point my best guess would be hardware if you tried the accompanied software and it wouldn't install.

Time to get a new motherboard probably.

I just performed the BIOS update. Unfortunately my system is still running like a dog. I think this was the last straw for me. I just can't understand why performance would just go downhill after the reinstall!

I'd try to reformat, reinstall and make sure you install the mobo drivers immediately after the setup. If it continues to lag you need to start looking for problems in hardware. Motherboard, ram, hd.. anything can be causing it. If you have more than 1 stick of ram, try booting with either stick one at a time to see if the problem is there.

If not, it gets a bit trickyer. Did you touch your hardware at all before/during reinstall?

Back