Windows XP - Never prompt for anything on cd insert. XP doesn't think I'm sincere

damonposey

2[H]4U
this is a minor issue I've had for a long long time and I wonder if its fixable. I'll convey best with some dialogue:

*inserts a CD*

<Windows> Hi what do you want to do when a CD is inserted from now on.
<Me> Nothing. and never ask me again.(checks box)

*hour later..inserts a CD*

<Windows> Ok, so what do you want to do with THIS particular CD in terms of automatically opening up shit
<Me> NOTHING. DON'T DO ANYTHING. EVER AGAIN

*day later..inserts a CD*

<Windows> Hey ass, What program do you want to open up this shit with?
<Me> NO!

--

no matter what I do it keeps coming back.

You forgot to say 'please'.

Now if you could humor me for a sec, take the exact same CD and try it again an hour later and you'll discover something amazing, it won't prompt you. You have to set it either for each individual CD or turn that feature off completely...trying to find it right now.

There are different categories to the auto play function. For example Music files, Pictures, Video Files, Mixed content etc. The first time you put a certain content type in you get prompted for an action. So if you put in a CD with pictures on it you get prompted, put in a CD with MP3 files on it and you get prompted again, because its a different content type. If you right click your cdrom drive and go to properties you can see and set each type under the auto play tab. You should only have to do it once for each content type.

ah crap, well i guess that makes sense. still, I wish it would let me check a box that disables any possible popups of any kind pertaining to CDs. I know there is a registry tweak out there somewhere, Ill find it eventually

Just disable Autorun on that drive?

TweakUI can change this setting for you.

To disable autorun --

Open registry editor, and go to:

HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDrom

Change the Autorun for 1 to 0.

Or you can use this reg file:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000000

If you want to take it to a higher level, and disable autoplay for *everything* (ie. USB drives), you can disable the "Shell Hardware Detection" service.

Back