Windows XP Home or Professional?

Fatticus

n00b
I'm planning on building a mid-level PC on a budget and I'd like to shave off as much cost as possible. I'm going to be using the PC mainly for games and school. Is there any reason for me to get XP Professional over XP Home? I'm leaning toward XP Home because it's significantly less expensive.

Only reason for professional is if you need to join a network Domain (in a workplace or college or something) or want to use remote desktop to connect to your machine (you can just use logmein or vnc for free though if you go with home edition). Besides that the other differences a home/gamer/non-business user will not notice at all.

Is encryption available in the home version? How about compression?

I'm sure it's one or the other that's only available in the Pro version.

Is encryption available in the home version? How about compression?

I'm sure it's one or the other that's only available in the Pro version.

NTFS File Encryption is only in Professional, but there are other softwares that can do it, like PGP. Just be sure that if you ever use any means to encrypt data, to back up the keys. Many people have used NTFS File Encryption, forgot to back up their private keys, and when they reformatted and reinstalled, they found they could not access their encrypted data and it was all effectively lost.

Back