Windows XP Freezes on Boot

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have an interesting problem that I don't know how to solve. Running Windows XP SP3 (SP2 shows the same problem), at the loading screen it will hang if I have two displays plugged into my 7900GTX (FW 169.21, also same problem with latests drivers). My first display is a 15" LCD and my second display would be a 720p projector through a monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch. I have not found this problem documented anywhere.

If I just use one display plugged into the card there is no trouble booting to windows. It's only when I have them both hooked up. Also, it doesn't appear that Nvidia allows for different resolutions for two displays. I tried to setup my LCD for 1024 x 768 and my projector for 1280 x 720 but it's actually feeding my projector with a 1080 signal (my projector tells me the incoming signal). I can't find any combination that works. My extended desktop option under the Window's Display Settings is also not available to me. Is this the fault of Nvidia as well?

I would check the display configuration you have setup there. I think that's the likely culprit.

A quick Google search found..

Try these steps:
01. Disconnect secondary monitor from video card
02. Shut down the computer
03. Turn the computer back on
04. Boot to Windows desktop
05. Reconnect secondary display to video card
06. Open Display Properties-Settngs tab
07. Click on second monitor then check the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" box
08. Click OK to accept these settings
09. Reboot the computer to test

Windows should now load to a dual display desktop (spanned across both monitors).

That is not possible because the extended desktop is not available with the Nvidia drivers on the 7900gtx card. You have to use the Nvidia control panel which is crap because it will not let me set the resolution correctly on the extended display, even if I use the custom resolution option. I've also tried the latest WQL drivers with no luck. I'll update if I figure a way to get this working.

Back