Windows XP error loading operating system

Soujiro

Gawd
So I copied my windows drive using Norton Ghost from my SATA drive to an IDE one. I tried to boot the same way I usually do, but I get "Error loading operating system". I tried the recovery console but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

I got that error when my SATA Drive with the OS was plugged into SATA 2 instead of the orginal SATA 1 in was plugged into. Seems to f* it up. So it probably doesn't know enough to look on the IDE. Best thing would be just get your info off, and format.

actually before you go running off to reformat you might try a master boot record repair. Boot to the xp cd and choose recovery console console. at the command prompt you might want to try "fixmbr" which will repair the boot record or Fixboot which will write a new boot record to your boot partition. When ghosting it is often necessary to rewrite the master boot record on a new drive. Especially since your boot record that got ghosted was for a sata drive. Fixmbr will find the ide drive and write the proper boot record.

Back