Windows XP 16bit Subsystem Error

Krenum

Fully [H]
Hey folks, I've come across this weird error while using Windows XP, for as many years as I have used it I've never seen this error before.

16 Bit Windows Subsystem (Title Bar)
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The problem is , when I try to install an older game like Quake 3 while using the CD-ROM, that message will pop up when I try to launch the executable. So I cannot install the program.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. From researching the internet I've found that it has something to do with the file being damage or removed. I've tried a bunch of ways to fix it, like going into the command prompt and typing lines of code provided by others, but still the problem persists.

I don't understand how the file could be damaged or removed when it even pops up on a fresh Windows XP install.

Has anyone encountered this error before? Is there a way to fix it? Please let me know, its very frustrating.

Thanks.

Back