Windows Vista Ultimate (x86) DVD available on MSDN!!!

tesfaye

2[H]4U
GO GET YOU SOME!!!

w00t!!!

I wonder if this version will have all the drivers for Dell GX620.

Ah, I was wondering why MSDN was slow today (I was looking for Great Plains), this explains it. Time to grab it myself.

Well let me be the bearer of bad news for you MSAA subscriber. MSAA subscribers will only get Vista Business. I didn't read anything about any other releases being available in the future. MS is really keeping control of who gets what and how many pcs you get to put it on.

Actually that's a good thing if I had needed it. Business Edition comes with RDP whereas Home Premium does not.

how much does a subscription to MSDn cost?

Im looking to get Vista early and was considering ultimate, but business will do fine even if it is for home use.

msdn.com and look for a how to buy link. its expensive and not worth it if you are not a developer. there is a technet subscription that has access to a limited set of ms products.

Be mindful that these subscriptions are for testing and development only. It is a violation to use it for personal use or in a production environment. the enterprise subscription has some more lenient terms but for the most part it's just as restrictive.

Do not discuss abuse of MS licencing terms. I don't think the mods would appreciate that.

ChronoReverse said:
Actually that's a good thing if I had needed it. Business Edition comes with RDP whereas Home Premium does not.
Yeah, I need rdp as well. I f business lacks the virtual pc feature you can install virtual server 2005. That worked on the rtms. Same tech if not more improved with managability features that virtual pc lacks.

its out for connect users to...all the bugs I submitted and I still dont ge it :(

Rats, only Business available for academic. Doesn't look like it includes Enterprise bits.

Business is fine for me as that is what I'll end up deploying to my clients. Hoping it will show up on my msdnaa soon.

zeplar said:
Rats, only Business available for academic. Doesn't look like it includes Enterprise bits.
No Enterprise for anyone except Volume License customers.

zeplar said:

Hmmm... I am not showing any Vista as being available for AA at all. (yet)

MSDN is dying, dead currently for me. Looks like everyone is finding out! I did see it but when I went to DL it errored out

MSDN is working now, DLing currently and installing a version from other sources but my MSDN key worked on it.

tesfaye said:
No Enterprise for anyone except Volume License customers.

Oops, sorry, I should've specified Campus Agreement volume licensing. Didn't mean to infer AA.

I can't even get the download to start. Hopefully will be able to trickle it down slowly over the weekend if I can get it to start at some point.

AARGH! said:
I can't even get the download to start. Hopefully will be able to trickle it down slowly over the weekend if I can get it to start at some point.
I was 90% done and it stopped..

They are having real problems, for a few minutes couldn't even get to the Downloads page.

I'll keep trying...

AARGH!

I had fits getting it to start all day long but I just checked and *knocks on wood* it is a steady connection and good download speed. I am going to try the 64 bit edition and see how it works out.

MSDN is fairly expensive subscription ($699+) if Im not mistaken. However "TechNet Plus" also allows you to download various MS Operating systems and software and is far cheaper ($350)

You have to be careful not to install to many times since you only get 10 licenses per software.. but unless you give it out to friends (which you're not supposed to do) I dont see it being a real problem.

Sweet, I have technet plus here at the university, downloading vista ultimate now. I can't get a product key just yet though. Technet plus members can get office 2k7 too!

did they yank the ISOs from MSDN? I got the x86 version last night but when i came back for the x64 there was no trace of vista...

nismo_r34 said:
did they yank the ISOs from MSDN? I got the x86 version last night but when i came back for the x64 there was no trace of vista...

Looks like they did I just went to look and Vista is nowhere to be found.

I still see Vista x86 on Technet downloads but the x64 has been MIA since yesterday.

Hope you get your versions soon. I got it when they released it to all Volume License Customers. Sucked though, Microsoft gave us the minimum MKA of 5 and everyone activated it before me. We are currently in the works of upping that number to 500. =P In any case, it was great news when I saw they gave it to MSDN subscribers, so I grabbed a key off there and changed the product key. Activated, and Now running Vista Business x64 for 3 days.

Enjoy everyone. Its rock stable so far and runs all my apps!

I pulled down the x64 version as well, I am trying to clear off some hard drive space. I think I will dual boot it with XP while I test it out.

Anyone else having any driver issues or problems running old programs?

Uncle Toxie said:
I pulled down the x64 version as well, I am trying to clear off some hard drive space. I think I will dual boot it with XP while I test it out.

Anyone else having any driver issues or problems running old programs?
Let us know how that turns out. I was curious about the x64 version but I had work to do so I'm running the x86 version for now. I couldn't take the chance of something not working right.

tesfaye said:
Let us know how that turns out. I was curious about the x64 version but I had work to do so I'm running the x86 version for now. I couldn't take the chance of something not working right.

x64 edition is rock stable. Works with everything in my Signature. Do not be afraid to download it over to x86 edition. To answer the Dual Boot Question: It does.

Programs tested thus far:

Nero 7 = Works
Photoshop CS 2 = Works
Office 2003 / 2007 = Works
GAIM = Works
Dreamweaver = Works
Smart FTP = Works
Opera / Firefox = Works
Thunderbird = Works

The only app I have found that didn't work and I installed for S*'s and giggles was Daemon tools. While it installed, the "mounted" drives weren't assigned a driver letter in any sense and therefore could not be seen by the OS. *Shrugs*

abudhu said:
x64 edition is rock stable. Works with everything in my Signature. Do not be afraid to download it over to x86 edition. To answer the Dual Boot Question: It does.

Programs tested thus far:

Nero 7 = Works
Photoshop CS 2 = Works
Office 2003 / 2007 = Works
GAIM = Works
Dreamweaver = Works
Smart FTP = Works
Opera / Firefox = Works
Thunderbird = Works

The only app I have found that didn't work and I installed for S*'s and giggles was Daemon tools. While it installed, the "mounted" drives weren't assigned a driver letter in any sense and therefore could not be seen by the OS. *Shrugs*
Cool, thanks. I was curious whether or not CS2 would run. Folks were reporting problems with that app with Vista RC2. I'm surprised Daemon tools didn't work for you since x64 compatibility was fixed in the latest version. Everything is fast and responsive for you with only 2GB of memory?

Here is my list of devices and apps which are running flawlessly in 32bit Vista RTM.
ATI x1900XT - ATI Beta RTM drivers

Creative Audigy 4 Pro – Oct 11 Beta drivers

Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Media Desktop– No Bluetooth but full functionality otherwise - SetPoint 3.10 software. Anything earlier won’t install.

Logitech MX1000 – Setpoint 3.10 software

Logitech Wingman Cordless – Gaming software ( Latest Version )

Logitech Quickcam Orbit

Microsoft XBOX 360 Controller – I’m loving this thing. Two analog sticks, awesome digital pad, Two analog triggers, 10 buttons

Treo 700w

Toshiba e755

HP LaserJet 1012

iPod – iTunes 7.0.2

Newsleecher 3.8 Beta

Visual Studio 2005 w SP1

Office 2007 RTM

Nero 7.5.7 Ultra Edition

Virtual Server 2005 R2 with SP1

Streets and Trips 2007

Games ( Anything except OpenGL games based on the Doom3 engine )

Divx

Community Codec Pack

QuickTime

WinRAR 3.50

SQL Server 2005 SP2 Beta

SQL Server Management Studio SP2 Beta

Daemon Tools (latest version)

As of RC2 (I haven't the time to install RTM to test yet) Photoshop CS2 runs fine but disables Glass. For some reason Imageready doesn't do that.

ChronoReverse said:
As of RC2 (I haven't the time to install RTM to test yet) Photoshop CS2 runs fine but disables Glass. For some reason Imageready doesn't do that.

Photoshop CS2 does not disable glass in the RTM...at least not for me.

Also, maybe I am behind a version on Daemon tools then, may have to try it out again.

abudhu said:
Photoshop CS2 does not disable glass in the RTM...at least not for me.

Also, maybe I am behind a version on Daemon tools then, may have to try it out again.
Cool! I Think I'll do a dual boot with x64 and see which version I prefer.

If anyone is looking to run virtual machines you can install Virtual Server Enterprise R2 on Vista. Instructions here: http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2006/10/10/Installing-Virtual-Server-2005-R2-on-Vista-RC1-_2F00_-RC2.aspx

Virtual PC doesn't run well but Virtual PC 2007 is in Beta but why bother when you can use Virtual Server which is far more robust.

The computer techs at my work deal with all the software and stuff and are always giving us free stuff(not that i dont get it myself :) ) but they do have MSDN or whatever it is of course. So do they in turn get the final version of windows vista free or something to test it out or what is the deal?

I know they will get me a copy of whatever is on the MSDN but will it be 100% legit and good as a retail copy?

MSDN copies are for development and testing purposes. You can't use it legally for personally or business work.

ChronoReverse said:
MSDN copies are for development and testing purposes. You can't use it legally for personally or business work.

yet that wont stop anyone from personal use

Back