Windows Vista 64 TCP/IP Limit

RangerSVT

[H]ard|Gawd
Problem:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Solution: Need to know how to increase or get this fucking security "feature" off my personal home computer that is running Windows Vista64 on a FiOS 15/5Mbps line.

Frustration: Why is Vista limiting my TCP/IP ? Security in regards to not spreading worms at a mass-rate? I've never been infected with ANY type of computer virus or worm, I do not NEED this restriction. Not upset, not pissed, just feel like my rights to my own computer and internet connection are being restricted without my permission!!!

This was put into place in XP SP2 to try and slow certain viruses that spread via network connections.

At the moment you should be limited to 10 concurrent connections, as someone mentioned earlier there are hacks to up your connection limit, usually people that do a lot of bit torrenting will do this.

not to thread jack but i tried installing that patch and on reboot i get
"dependency service or group failed to start". can anyone help me? i get the same message as op in event viewer.

Same here, I got the same error, I given up for now, this is retarded for Vista to limit us like this. Oh well, I used to praise vista, but now that I find out that they limit our TCP connections, well that's just absurd.

Same here, I got the same error, I given up for now, this is retarded for Vista to limit us like this. Oh well, I used to praise vista, but now that I find out that they limit our TCP connections, well that's just absurd.

xp has it too. but u would think with all the p2p filesharing going on that vista would beable to change this more easily, but keep it hiden from newbies. seems like its theres too much work to do it manually.

Is there a specific reason why you want a fix? it's not such a bad guy as some people makes it out to be. It just queues your half-open connections (they will time-out) when you reach the limit

because my torrents always fail if i have too many running..........this way i can seed the old ones while still downloading new ones.

Are you sitting behind a router, and have you verified that the problem doesn't lie here (some routers don't deal with that many connections very well) ?

because my torrents always fail if i have too many running..........this way i can seed the old ones while still downloading new ones.

torrents probaly failing due to your isp being a traffic shaping whore. ive noticed torrents slowed to a crawl and not even starting in the past month.. sure enough cox started traffic shaping p2p traffic.

torrents probaly failing due to your isp being a traffic shaping whore. ive noticed torrents slowed to a crawl and not even starting in the past month.. sure enough cox started traffic shaping p2p traffic.

What he said. I'm a Torrent maniac, I run it all the time at blazing speeds on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OS X. I think it's your ISP who just happened to start blocking it when you upgraded your computer.

Not a Vista issue. I've seen it on XP machines. You need to look at what's running on your pc. Possible malicious software running.

Here is your answer

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What he said. I'm a Torrent maniac, I run it all the time at blazing speeds on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OS X. I think it's your ISP who just happened to start blocking it when you upgraded your computer.

Here is your answer

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

no, thats not my answer. i can create the problem on demand by starting a few torrents, getting an error about how this file can not be saved an that it the saved location is no longer avaiable. then look in event viewer for this tcip error that says half connections limit has been reached showing the same time the torrents failed. restarting the torrents again will have the same error and it will show up in event viewer again under the same time.

it is not an isp problem because my torrents fly.......but if i have to many torrents seeding an downloading i get this error. then i can trace it it event view listing the same time the torrents failed.

just was wondering if anyone knew how to get that patch working because me and op are having the same problem with it.

just was wondering if anyone knew how to get that patch working because me and op are having the same problem with it.

Please specify what torrent client you use. Some just allow as many half open TCP connections as it wants, others are much smarter and limit how many half open connections are created before it won't set up anymore until some half open connections are closed.

I have had dozens of torrents seeding/downloading simultaneously before and I don't patch my tcpip.sys and I have no issues.

Here is your answer

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Sorry sir, but the problem is not the ISP, my Verizon FiOS is working just fine right now and uTorrent has downloaded close to 23GB of data and so far uploaded 18GB of data, this is on the same connection my desktop is running off on, but on a different machine which has Windows XP SP2 running and is currently un-touched by this issue.

ive tried utorrent and azures. both give some error about location. not really a client issue has the error shows up in event viewer.

i will try that patch but it seems like the same patch as the one that was already posted.

I have had dozens of torrents seeding/downloading simultaneously before and I don't patch my tcpip.sys and I have no issues.

Some have it, some don't. I didn't have it 2 weeks ago, but Windows Update decided to change all that.

The Patch for 64bit does work, but Vista throws off this hissy fit and considers it malicous spyware.

The TCP/IP Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
>

Isn't this against the windows Eula ?

Are you the Vista EULA patrol? Get on out of here, we're not exploiting or pirating anything, I paid for Vista and now It's glitching up on me, if it requires a simple modification to allow me to use my operating system to the fullest, I intend to do so

Listen, the limit is the same in XP SP2 and Vista.... so if you are "using another machine with XP SP2 just fine" then obviously it is not the OS problem....

The TCP/IP connection limit is the same in XP SP2 and Vista...

Listen, the limit is the same in XP SP2 and Vista.... so if you are "using another machine with XP SP2 just fine" then obviously it is not the OS problem....
Are you fucking serious? If it works on my machine running Windows XP SP2 and not on my machine that is running Windows Vista 64, then it IS an OS problem, OS problem on my Vista machine. It isn't hardware, it isn't my FiOS internet, if you cannot comprehend that, then please refrain from posting in this thread, considering we're looking for a SOLUTION and not grentz coming in here and claiming it isn't an OS problem. :rolleyes:

The TCP/IP connection limit is the same in XP SP2 and Vista...

:rolleyes:

well actually sp2 has a limit of 8 while vista ultimate has a limit if 25. ive noticed for some reason the larger torrents(like blue ray) hashed into alot of pieces causes more half connections.

Yep...like clockwork here with suddenlink (bought cox here a while back), my torrents will crawl along until I stop them, wait a few mins, and try again. Then it runs fast...for about 5 minutes, then back to a crawl.

Are you fucking serious? If it works on my machine running Windows XP SP2 and not on my machine that is running Windows Vista 64, then it IS an OS problem, OS problem on my Vista machine. It isn't hardware, it isn't my FiOS internet, if you cannot comprehend that, then please refrain from posting in this thread, considering we're looking for a SOLUTION and not grentz coming in here and claiming it isn't an OS problem. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

But I noticed you didnt mention OTHER software. Getting down to the source of the problem is the first place to start. You have said it is not hardware or your ISP, we have determined it is not the OS and that is what I have been trying to tell you.

The next logical point would be any other software on the machine...there is more on your machine than just the OS obviously. Or can you not comprehend that :rolleyes:

The OS TCP/IP stack is the same in XP SP2 and Vista as far as connections are concerned, and as pointed out if anything they are more open in Vista. So if it is working fine on XP SP2, then obviously your Vista TCP/IP stack has been modified or there is another piece of software (not the OS :rolleyes: ) that is causing an issue.

You have to work towards a solution, cause I can tell you one thing...my Vista box works just jolly with torrents and has no issue. So I am offering my time and trying to help you with a solution, while you are yelling at me for trying to narrow it down...thx

Bro, I understand your efforts in trying to help me out here, but I clearly mentioned it is the operating system, primarily due to the fact that it worked fine 6-7 windows updates ago. uTorrent works on my Windows XP SP2 machine, and worked fine on my Vista machine, the only changes done to the machine was Windows Updates. I know if I reinstall the OS, it'll more than likely fix it, but considering it's working on my Windows XP SP2 machine, I'm willing to take the hit from Vista. No biggie.

Bro, I understand your efforts in trying to help me out here, but I clearly mentioned it is the operating system, primarily due to the fact that it worked fine 6-7 windows updates ago. uTorrent works on my Windows XP SP2 machine, and worked fine on my Vista machine, the only changes done to the machine was Windows Updates. I know if I reinstall the OS, it'll more than likely fix it, but considering it's working on my Windows XP SP2 machine, I'm willing to take the hit from Vista. No biggie.

Dude! You never mentioned that at all about the windows updates.

That does make a difference, but I nor anyone in this thread ever knew that tid bit of information cause you didn't share!

Is there anything else that has changed?

Dude! You never mentioned that at all about the windows updates.

That does make a difference, but I nor anyone in this thread ever knew that tid bit of information cause you didn't share!

Is there anything else that has changed?

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031791242&postcount=27

My bad though, I could have sworn I added that information on my original first post, well, time to put it on blast, I'm a dumb ass, this worked prior to the 7-8 newly installed Windows Updates.

Before that, everything worked fine. Now I ain't going to uninstall those updates, just to get the program working, hell, windows without updates if like having sex, without the protection, your gonna bust :eek:

Let's take it easy on the jabs fellas. Keep it civil and on topic please.

Back