• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Windows Taking up 58GB with .tmp Files

Major_A

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
1,164
The last few days my computer has been acting up. First I noticed subtle issues then last night the computer crapped on itself when I was playing some BF2. I suspected it might have been the Alcohol 120% I installed to make a few mini images. I unistalled the program and things haven't gotten better but rather worse. I went to sleep last night with 76+GB of free space. Got home today and just noticed I now have 17GB free. I used WinDirStat to trace the root of the problem to C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.2600.2180_x-ww_522f9f82. This folder has 58GB worth of .tmp files in it but I am a bit worried about deleting them. Considering it's in the Windows folder and the folder itself contains the XP build number in it. I am about to format, it's that time I suppose, but what on earth is going on here? What does this folder do and why are they all equal size .tmp files occupying 58GB of my HDD? Here are a few pics to show you what I'm refering to.

 
Holy malware batman! I actually saw this exact same thing on a friend's box (the typical "hey my computer doesnt' work come help me please" kind of scenario). Turns out it was some crazy virus/trojan/worm that I couldn't remove...ended up wiping the beast.
 
Order said:
Holy shit, lol.
Run CCleaner and get that stuff out of there.
www.ccleaner.com
Have you run spyware and virus scans?

Be careful what you delete with that scanner. I ran it and it did a great job. It did such a great job that it even deleted some files that were necesary to run windows. (I can understand how it could confuse windows files with junk :p) Anyway, I got a windows protection error and I had to put the xp disk in so the os could repair some files. Happy cleaning!
 
I have CCleaner, doesn't detect it. I've ran...
Trendmicro Housecall Online Scan
Panda Activescan Online Scan
Avast!
Spyware Doctor
Lavasoft Adaware SE
Sunbelt CounterSpy
Spybot Search & Destroy
MS Antispyware
A-squared
The only one that found anything was Lavasoft and it was a @live365.com cookie. Like I said I am being lazy and dealing with it right now but this weekend I'm going to format and start over. The part I really hate is redownloading stuff, my connection genrally averages a whopping 40 Kb/s.
 
Well I deleted the files with no side effects. I lost my video card driver in the middle of a battle while playing BF2, so the HDD is in the process of writing zeros.
 
Back
Top