Windows Server 2003 various questions

ozzyblood

2[H]4U
Please be gentle, I am learning and by no means do I expect to be spoon fed, but I do need a few questions answered.

FIrst off, I have Windows server 2003 installed on my PC, dual booting Xp pro for the moment, mostly this is for learning purposes.

Now there are two other computers on the network, both running XP pro. Eventually, I would like to set up a domain and have both computers authenticate through my server 2003 install, manage them through AD, and just basically learn.

Now i'm going to provide some screenshots because as we all know, a picture is worth a thousand words.

First thing is installing DNS. I believe I've installed DNS correctly, but I don't know how I can be certain.

Now here in Picture1, am I using my DNS or my ISP's DNS service for the resolving that you seen? Also, as you can see in Picture2 , I can ping myself and other computers on my network, but they cannot ping me. (them pinging me not shown)

Now Picture3 is the DNS console, of what I believe would be most useful to someone who is willing to help.

Now the problem I have is when I have a computer on the network attempt to join the domain, I get an error saying the domain could not be found/contacted.

Code:
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are 
not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received 
this information, which has been recorded in the file 
C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) 
resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain mcse.co.il.

The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mcse.co.il

For more information, click Help.

When trying to join the domain titled 'mcse.co.il', as presented in Picture4, on the XP pro box I am trying to join I tried typing in 'mcse.co.il' and 'mcse.co' and just 'mcse'. none of them worked.

All computers receive dynamic IP addressing from my linksys router, except me, which I was told in a DNS tutorial to make my IP static. Now, I just went into the tcp/ip properties and made it static there, do I have to configure it as static on my router as well? Picture5

Now what's most important is that I will take any advice or information provided by anyone. Any tutorial sites or information would also be great.

edit1: I forgot to include that all computers connect directly to the router with my cable modem plugging into the uplink port.

I am also very interested in this. I am having the classic "Slow login" to domain and believe it is DNS related!

OK, lets start with the basics.

On your domain controller, it appears that DNS is installed correctly. Make sure that you added your ISP's DNS server IP' as a forwarder in your win2k3 DNS server installation. This will allow your domain controller (and other computers using your DC as a dns server) to resolve to outside addresses. To find the "forwarders" tab, open up your DNS management console, right click on your dns server, choose properties, choose the forwarder tab, and then enter your ISP's dns server.

Now you said that the other 2 computers are running windows XP. You also stated that these machines get their ip addresses from the routers. Most likely the DNS servers sent from the router is the ISP dns servers. You need to change that to the Win2k3 DNS server. Your domain controller should handle all the DNS requests.

Once you have the win xp computers using win2k3 DNS server, you should be able to find the domain. In win2k3 active directory, domain records are stored in DNS, hence the error you get when you run dcdiag. Once you change the DNS addresses on the router from your ISP to your Domain controller, you should be able to join the domain.

Thanks a lot Darth,

I did like you suggested and added my ISP's three static DNS addresses to the forwarders list. Picture6

So, on part two of what you suggested, are you saying that I should go into the tcp/ip properties and statically assign the DNS servers to the XP pro boxes? So it would then just be my ip address, the DC.

what should I put for the alternate DNS address?

Should my DC be doing DHCP or should I just allow the router to do it? Should I install DHCP and handle the IP addressing myself?

Turns out, I can now get the XP pro box Joined to the domain, but upon restarting, it has been saying 'loading your personal settings' for like 30 mins now. Must be another DNS issue.. thanks for all the help thus far.

Darthkim said:
Once you have the win xp computers using win2k3 DNS server, you should be able to find the domain. In win2k3 active directory, domain records are stored in DNS, hence the error you get when you run dcdiag. Once you change the DNS addresses on the router from your ISP to your Domain controller, you should be able to join the domain.

Changing the DNS information on the XP box made the login instantaneous. I changed the static information to my DC, and boom, worked great. seems I've found a new best friend

thanks for all of the help

I have tried all of the above but am still having some major issues. If someone wants to login to the server remotely and just check the basics to see if I have them correctly set, I will give access to someone.

AIM : lostmatt996

i will mention something just in case its not clear. The dns server should now be whatever ip address the DC is. Ours at work is 192.168.0.150. But then you can get into assigning this information through DHCP on the DC and you won't have to put anything in on each of the XP Pro machines.

I am trying to do the same thing. I have a home LAN, with a WIN2K server. I am trying to get AD installed, but in order to do so, I need DNS to work. I am having a hard time installing DNS. Do you need to have a registered domain name in order for this to work, or can you just "make one up" for learning purposes?

When i use the DNS wizzard on my server, at the end it seems like its working, but then errors out. It wants a username password, and domain name. In order for me to setup DNS on my server, do I just need to add in my ISPs DNS entries as a forwarder? any help would be appreciated.

the domain name is something you just make up. it doesn't have to be an existing website.

I agree..if you can turn off DHCP on your router and have your server do DNS and DHCP then you wouldn't have to do anything to your XP boxes. Just a little suggestion. Most issues with servers, that I have seen, have to do with DNS. Hope this helps.

Bob2001

ok thanks.. So in order for me to properly setup DNS, Do i just need to add my ISPs DNS servers to the forwarders list?? Is that all it takes? :confused:

doesn't the domain have to be

mcse.co.il.local

or whatever your domain name is followed by ".local"??

PawNtheSandman said:
doesn't the domain have to be

mcse.co.il.local

or whatever your domain name is followed by ".local"??

It can be anything. It could be dog.shit if you wanted it to be.

But using mcse.co.il is a little strange.

travanx said:
the domain name is something you just make up. it doesn't have to be an existing website.

In fact it SHOULD be a made up name. If you make your AD domain be microsoft.com then you won't ever (well, without some creativity) be able to access the microsoft.com web domain.

I seen and used .int (for internal) on AD domain names quite commonly.

Back