<windows root>\system32\hal.dll Missing During Windows Install

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
In all my install's of windows xp I have never run into this particular problem. The drive is a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 160gb. When I use the Maxtor software to format the drive I set it to one 40gb and one 120gb partition (I have also tried varying partition sizes but this is the setup I would like in the end). Then I go to restart and get the lovely NTLDR is missing error. So i restart with the windows cd in, hit any key to boot from cd. Go through the install. then boom. <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is corrupt or missing. The maxtor KB has been less than helpful as has the windows. So I ask.....a little help please.

So I went through the motions again. This time when given the option of using the current partitions w/ format's or windows formatting NTFS(quick) or NTFS I had it format the partititon with NTFS.......and as soon as install started it gave me setup cannot copy bootvid.dll

WTF?

After you format it copys files, so take out the disk and run the computer. Make sure that the HD is booting up before the cd

aggpirate said:
After you format it copys files, so take out the disk and run the computer. Make sure that the HD is booting up before the cd

So after install change the boot order from cd-rom first to HDD.....and then try it?

Hot damn. It seems to have worked. Thanks! It is finally in the windows Install after reboot.

Now just because I am nosey why the hell hasn't this happened before?

Back