Windows Remote Install

Philj

n00b
Hi All

Just wondering, we have many staff spread over the UK and some internationally. Some have laptops and some have desktop PCs.

If we need to re-install Windows, its a massive headache because not all staff can get to our IT office.

Is there any way we can deploy our Windows OS image over the net?

Thanks

Phil

Hi All

Just wondering, we have many staff spread over the UK and some internationally. Some have laptops and some have desktop PCs.

If we need to re-install Windows, its a massive headache because not all staff can get to our IT office.

Is there any way we can deploy our Windows OS image over the net?

Thanks

Phil

Yes there is but then everyone has to have an intel amt system. I you have those plz pm because we are working on some software for that. (for testing purposes)

Last edited:
there is, however most likely you would want to look into vmware.

If you use System Center Configuration Manager to deploy your Operating Systems, you can push an OS to a desktop. It would be tricky to get it working over the internet, but I'm sure it's doable. However, SCCM allows creation of Offline Media, so you could build a machine completely disconnected from your network. Obviously things like joining domains and other task that require you to be on the network couldn't happen...

I currently have distribution points set up in the field. If a user needs their PC rebuild, they have to go into the office, but it doesn't have to be the central office where the IT department is. Once at any plant, we can schedule a build. They turn the laptop off, back on, and then PXE boot to receive the standard image.

Usually cheaper and faster than sending it, and you don't end up with stale installation media and scripts floating around in the field.

If you use System Center Configuration Manager to deploy your Operating Systems, you can push an OS to a desktop. It would be tricky to get it working over the internet, but I'm sure it's doable. However, SCCM allows creation of Offline Media, so you could build a machine completely disconnected from your network. Obviously things like joining domains and other task that require you to be on the network couldn't happen...

I currently have distribution points set up in the field. If a user needs their PC rebuild, they have to go into the office, but it doesn't have to be the central office where the IT department is. Once at any plant, we can schedule a build. They turn the laptop off, back on, and then PXE boot to receive the standard image.

Usually cheaper and faster than sending it, and you don't end up with stale installation media and scripts floating around in the field.

When you have intel amt computers even this isn't needed. In his case he needs them to bring in there portable once to configure it.

When you have intel amt computers even this isn't needed. In his case he needs them to bring in there portable once to configure it.

Unless you plan on pushing massive amounts of data over network lines, then it is most definitely needed.

Unless you are refering to the PXE boot process. In which case, it is not needed with SCCM either, but I turn it on to force a manual steps so an "oops" doesn't rebuild all of my machines at once. I read about some company doing that not too long ago -- they accidentally deployed a desktop OS to half their servers.... this manual step prevents that from ever happening!

Unless you plan on pushing massive amounts of data over network lines, then it is most definitely needed.

Unless you are refering to the PXE boot process. In which case, it is not needed with SCCM either, but I turn it on to force a manual steps so an "oops" doesn't rebuild all of my machines at once. I read about some company doing that not too long ago -- they accidentally deployed a desktop OS to half their servers.... this manual step prevents that from ever happening!

Data is cheaper then paying your employees to bring there machine. When I worked for a big company they sent the freshly installed portable to the employee by cab (sometimes that was a cost of over 500 euro)

Back