Windows Media Center

p0lish

Gawd
Anyone use this with their HTPC? I was thinking about using this on an older system, maybe 550mhz P3. How easy is it to navigate and such? THX.

Just wondering- MCE was supposed to come ONLY with complete systems; so, where are you guys getting it?

I used to use it on my HTPC. Only problem is that it supports limited hardware, and a specific remote control, and needs an IR Blaster.

It's a very nice interface, though. You'd probably need something a little beefier than a 550 p3 though

Don't even bother with that system. I tried it with my P3 933 and it was horribly slow.

Spud

Yes.. if u want it to run well.. u'll need at least a 2ghz pc. But if u do have the hardware, it is very nice and very easy to use. The only drawback for me is there's no easy way to convert the saved recorded files to Mpeg2 files.

does anyone know where you can see a list of what hardware is supported?

I run it. It's from my MSDN subscription.
You positively need at least 512mb of ram to have any PVR functionality, otherwise it'll freeze. It runs fairly well on my system, but changing channels is slow (I think this may be because i have a slower proc).
Here's my hardware:
Chaintech 7NIF2
Athalon XP 1700+
Shuttle 200W SFF power supply
768mb PC2700 w/32mn dedicated to the onboard GeForce 4
160gd/7200 rpm/8mb cache WD HD
Pioneer 16x slot loading dvd
Phillips Windows MCE remote
Hauppuage PVR-350
SB Live!
LiteOn wireless Airboard
Logitech Wingman rumble game pad (I forgot the real name)

definately check out thegreenbutton.com or xpmce.com. they have pretty helpful forums.

Back