Windows Crashing on Install

Eshelon

Weaksauce
A good friend of mine is building his wife a new computer and has run into this problem. As windows begins to install and the DOS Drivers are loaded it gets to the Windows is Starting Part and then it blue-screen crashes. His system specs are:

ASUS P4WD2 Pentium Socket T Intell 955 ATC Mobo
G.Skill 2x 1g 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM 667
XFX PVT43GUDF3 GeForce 6600GT 256mb
Intel Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 800mhz FSB 775 EM64T
Thermaltake Silent Purepower w0014RU ATX 480W PSU

Any ideas, or bad component matchups here? I'm not much up on intel hardware and not exactly an expert on that either but my first guess is that 1 of the ram sticks could be bad since I'm not very familiar with GSkill. But that doesn't make them suck, just makes me unsure :)

double check that everything is seated properly

relax mem timings a smidge or increase voltage to them in bios maybe ..

check temps

check v's on diff rails (+5v, 12v, 3.3v)

maybe take a stick of mem out altogether and see if problem pursist .. or try other mem slots

..a start anyways
:(

ThreeDee said:
double check that everything is seated properly

relax mem timings a smidge or increase voltage to them in bios maybe ..

check temps

check v's on diff rails (+5v, 12v, 3.3v)

maybe take a stick of mem out altogether and see if problem pursist .. or try other mem slots
I would agree with that starting with the RAM but especially check to make sure something like the video card is firmly place into the motherboard. A simple problem area.

Well I found out he was installing both memory sticks in the same bank. Instead of 1 in each. He hasn't got the system back together yet but maybe that was the problem? We'll see, I also told him about checking the voltage. He seems to think it's a hard drive issue with that board, he's got an 80gig SATA drive and he thinks there might be an issue with it. I dunno!

If you dont have a floppy connected..do it..Strange but true..I did a couple of rigs w/sata and no floppy and XP wouldnt install untill I connected a floppy even though I didnt need to load drivers from it.

Well it turns out he had to install his HD that he was installing the OS to and the optical drive he was installing from on the same cable. Which seems odd to me because I've always set mine up 2 HDs on one cable and 2 Optical drives on the other.. who knows, just seems wierd.

Sata drives are a 1 to 1 connection ..if he used the same cable that fits on his cdrom etc..Then the drive is not a sata drive but an ide one

Sata connections are about __________ long

ide are ______________________________ ..no way to confuse them..

Back