windows Boot disk stupid question

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to uninstall a windows 7 key. Now here's the question I had 2 40 gb intells ssd on shelf one of which I know was in this particular machine. Trouble is did not mark them first one booted in repair mode but couldn't seem to repair. So I tried the other and it booted straight into windows no errors said windows is activated. I would think that since windows shows as being activated I used the right disk. I would think I would get an unactivated error or something? Am I safe to go with this? My next move is to unregister the key so I can use this windows 7 on a different machine. Thanks for any info.

Is it an OEM key or retail key? OEM Key is tied to the specific hardware when it was activated. Retail key you can move it around. If it is retail key, you can go ahead and install the OS on a different machine/SSD and use the key to activate. If there is an issue, you will be asked to call MS support to activate. However, I have re-used retail keys several times and have yet to run into that issue. I also read that when call to activate you will rarely be denied.

If it's a retail key you just do an install of Windows 7 on different hardware and then enter that key for activation - this is going on the assumption that you discontinue using it on the other machine, of course. If you encounter any issues in the process of activation on the new machine call Microsoft and explain the situation (aka you replaced a motherboard which triggered the need for re-activation of the retail class Product Key, etc). Shouldn't have any big problems with it but always realize you can call them if you do need help with activation.

If and when the new activation is in place, the old activation hash from the old machine (the first one that was used to activate that key) will no longer work - in essence that is how you deactivate such a key.

Been having issues with Bluetooth crashing win 10 on my skylake I5-6500 thought I would try seven though a lot of hassle just to install 7. The old machine was older clunker that is going on junk shelf. Got the key unregistered. I may have got the win 10 problem fixed. Now got a spare win7 install...

Back