Windows asking funny question at startup...

Phranq

Gawd
Ok, well windows keeps giving me 3 or 5 seconds or something I can't remember to pick if I want to start windows or install it when it starts up...I just want it to skip that and startup every time, anyone know how I can get it to stop asking?

hehe, I've done that... it's not that screen.

Edit: my motherboard also insists on detecting my SATA hard drive every time I boot up, is there any way to skip that?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I'd assume its something like that. If thast the case its your Boot.ini file

If it is let me know i'll guide you through it

heh, yes it is, i just noticed that file there right after you said that, that is kind of creepy.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=3
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="(Backup Line) Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Ok this is what you do.

Goto MY computer > C:\

CLick Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > uncheck Hide Protected operating System files

Its gonna ask u are you sure, say Yes.

You'll see the Boot.ini file.

Right click it > Properties

Take it off Read Only

Hit OK

Now go in Boot.ini

Delete the whole last line

Save

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="(Backup Line) Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Back the original file up first

Oh yea, once this is done, Go back into FOlder options and restore defaults so you dont need to see the unnessesary windows files

This thing happens for some strange reason that I can not explian. I was working on my GF's sister's laptop yesterday, installed some updates and it came up. I"d assume it was rewriting over the boot.ini file and screwed up.

There's an easier way to get to this boot.ini file but I forgot, hope this helps ;) ( what you gonna do, yea i winked! )

chow time

ok that should work but I haven't restarted yet, thing is I could see that file with the box checked...bad windows, any clue why that is?

Edit: oh it's just on the c drive as in where you can see the windows folder the program files folder etc.

Phranq said:
ok that should work but I haven't restarted yet, thing is I could see that file with the box checked...bad windows, any clue why that is?

Edit: oh it's just on the c drive as in where you can see the windows folder the program files folder etc.

o snap i wrote it wrong imma edit so look agian

MaMMa said:
There's an easier way to get to this boot.ini file but I forgot, hope this helps ;) ( what you gonna do, yea i winked! )

start->run->msconfig

yoink said:
start->run->msconfig

you sir are the man :) I goto that but hit the startup tab immidiately and forgot that boot.ini was there

yah, i was looking at msconfig earlier and knew it was familiar looking ;) i got rid of it and some stupid programs that were starting on boot.

Back