Windows 8 Tile Image Simple Inquiry

lightp2

Gawd
Dear All, need your kind help in verifying extremely specific scenario.

1. I tested this in the Windows 8 Release Preview.
2. I understand I can set custom desktop background image.
3. I understand when switching to Tile Screens, the minimize Desktop Tile will show the appropriately resized desktop background image. I saw this with flowers sample from the W8RP.

4. However, In my last test, I set different custom desktop background image, for example, photos. To my surprise, when I switched to Tile Screen, the Desktop Tile cut off the figures in the photo, not really ideal. ( I thought it would show fully-minimized whole picture in the Desktop Tile. Instead it displayed the picture with portion missing.)

5. I do not have W8RP anymore. And I do not have Windows 8 RTM.

Question. Can any Windows 8 user please kindly verify this scenario in W8 RTM? Or else do I need, or how to prepare the desktop background pictures in certain way/resolution so that Desktop Tile can display a complete minimized version of custom desktop background image?

Thanks.

Hmm, my Windows 8 RTM shows the complete minimized desktop background photo. When my background changes, my tile changes as well (I have it going through a set of photos).

Hi, Tsumi,

Thanks for your quick info. I have certain plan of W8 laptop, but was put-off by my W8RP experience due to this because in my last W8RP test, the Desktop Tile showed a unwisely cut-off figure, not really a great thing to see day-in day-out.

For your background photos, are the original completely size to cover the entire screen? or just partial? In my last test, the original is only small part of the screen centred. Maybe this is the reason it did not resize per expectation.

Again, appreciate your kind confirmation that it does work. This clears the uncertainty for me.

My photos are the resolution of the screen. Using a picture that's not the size of the screen leads to a cropped photo.

However, I do not believe this has anything to do with the resolution of the photo, but rather the aspect ratio. 16:9 closely matches the tile. Using a 16:10 photo resulted in very little cropping, while a 4:3 photo suffered from a lot of cropping.

When making the tile single width or double width, single width resulted in a lot of cropping for 16:9 photos. It appears that the tile uses the "Fill" method of the desktop.

There's a useful 3rd party app for customizing tiles called Oblytile, if you want to look into that.

Back