Windows 8 Reinstall Question

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
This has probably been asked numerous times, but a quick search isn't answering my specific question. A co-worker brought me his kid's laptop that wouldn't boot. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro C850 Series. It had been running Windows 8 (not yet upgraded to 8.1).

The hard drive died completely, and the system is out of warranty. Since the key is stored in the BIOS of the system, is there a way I can use a generic Windows 8 disc to install the OS and recover his system key to activate it? I'm trying to get this system running ASAP, and without him having to purchase recovery discs or a new license, if at all possible.

This has probably been asked numerous times, but a quick search isn't answering my specific question. A co-worker brought me his kid's laptop that wouldn't boot. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro C850 Series. It had been running Windows 8 (not yet upgraded to 8.1).

The hard drive died completely, and the system is out of warranty. Since the key is stored in the BIOS of the system, is there a way I can use a generic Windows 8 disc to install the OS and recover his system key to activate it? I'm trying to get this system running ASAP, and without him having to purchase recovery discs or a new license, if at all possible.

I just reinstalled Windows 8 on Toshiba laptop using a retail install image (the previous install was riddled with malware). It worked fine, I didn't even need to enter the product key, it detected the BIOS key automagically. You may have to go hunting for drivers as they may not be installed automatically like with an OEM install image.

I was hoping it would be that simple, but I was wondering if I was living in a dream world. Thanks! I don't mind finding drivers...the activation part is what I was worried about.

Very easy with Windows 8. Refresh your PC, it will keep all of the documents, but will reinstall the OS.

If it doesn't recover the key automatically, there are various tools online that can get the key for you (I've done that once myself). You can google "retrieve Windows 8 key from bios" or something along those lines, it should point you in the right direction.

Back