Windows 7 / Vista + repair installs

SHaFT7

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I run a pc repair shop, and have been searching high and low for a way to do a windows 7 / vista repair install. Back in the XP days, you could boot off the cd, do a repair install, and fix all kinds of fun problems.

Now, the only way to do a repair install is if you can actually boot all the way to the desktop in vista / 7. I've searched all over, and I get the same consensus everywhere: backup data, wipe, reinstall.

Anyone figured out any magic to make this happen yet?

Insert a burnable DVD
In windows start menu, search for "system repair disc"

Make repair disc
Have cup of coffee
Finish making repair disc

Use newly created disc

Well, technically Tawnos is right but what I'm thinking that your thinking is the boot up repair.

In Windows 7, when you start up the computer, hit F8 and select 'Repair Computer'. It will boot to a menu with diagnostic tools. One of them is Start Up Repair, which searches for problems and will fix them. It will likely ask you to insert an OS disc.

Vista I do not think has this on the F8 page. In order to find this feature in Vista, boot to the install disc. There will be a Repair Computer or Advanced options or something similar on the disc. Choose the Repair Computer from that menu. This also works in 7, if for some reason the F8 method does not.

Keep in mind this method only repairs the OS if it can't boot. If you are having issues but can boot to the desktop, you can run a System File Check. Do this by opening an elevated cmd prompt, type in:

sfc /scannow

It will ask you to insert a disc and will repair any integrity issues it finds with OS files.

Well, technically Tawnos is right but what I'm thinking that your thinking is the boot up repair.

In Windows 7, when you start up the computer, hit F8 and select 'Repair Computer'. It will boot to a menu with diagnostic tools. One of them is Start Up Repair, which searches for problems and will fix them. It will likely ask you to insert an OS disc.

Vista I do not think has this on the F8 page. In order to find this feature in Vista, boot to the install disc. There will be a Repair Computer or Advanced options or something similar on the disc. Choose the Repair Computer from that menu. This also works in 7, if for some reason the F8 method does not.

Keep in mind this method only repairs the OS if it can't boot. If you are having issues but can boot to the desktop, you can run a System File Check. Do this by opening an elevated cmd prompt, type in:

sfc /scannow

It will ask you to insert a disc and will repair any integrity issues it finds with OS files.

If you can boot into the OS, you can also do a repair install by inserting the install disc and doing an "upgrade" (in place upgrade).

Hey guys, I run a pc repair shop, and have been searching high and low for a way to do a windows 7 / vista repair install. Back in the XP days, you could boot off the cd, do a repair install, and fix all kinds of fun problems.

Now, the only way to do a repair install is if you can actually boot all the way to the desktop in vista / 7. I've searched all over, and I get the same consensus everywhere: backup data, wipe, reinstall.

Anyone figured out any magic to make this happen yet?

If just it's just a repair install this guide could be helpful: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html. :) Comes with pictures too. :eek: :D

Sorry for the late reply, lost the thread.

That link is good info, thanks!

What I'm talking about, however, is how you could boot off of a windows xp cd, go into normal setup, and it would detect the previous install, and then install right on top of it. The end result is that while your windows updates were reset to the SP of the disc, you lost no settings, no backgrounds, no custom this or that. Everything else was 100% intact. There seems to be no way to do that in Vista/7, especially if you can't already boot to desktop.

Sorry for the late reply, lost the thread.

That link is good info, thanks!

What I'm talking about, however, is how you could boot off of a windows xp cd, go into normal setup, and it would detect the previous install, and then install right on top of it. The end result is that while your windows updates were reset to the SP of the disc, you lost no settings, no backgrounds, no custom this or that. Everything else was 100% intact. There seems to be no way to do that in Vista/7, especially if you can't already boot to desktop.

I know vista and win 7 have a tool that will repair itself without the disk if you can't start up. I think you have to hit f8 while it is trying to boot and there should be an option for start up repair or something like, not sure though how to get to it.

I think these are it. one and two.

Everyone is misunderstanding his dilema. He needs a repair install, not a startup repair.

I ran into this issue earlier this week, and was unable to do a repair install in vista. The startup repair was no help at all, and the workaround method of booting off the disc, selecting 'upgrade', and selecting your current OS version did not work for me, as the 'upgrade' option was greyed out.

I too wish the way you did it in XP was available in vista/7.

Back