Windows 7 System Restore without Disk?

JC724

Weaksauce
I am trying to system restore my Windows 7 OS. I want to reset it to when I first bought it, so wipe everything out and start as if it was a new system.

I read online how to system restore but everything I read basically tells me how to go back to a restore point, not completely restore my system?

How do I do this with out my disk that came with my laptop?

There should be a recovery partition on your laptop, you need to figure out how to boot to it.

Windows 7 doesn't offer the kind of system refresh that Windows 8/8.1 and 10 offer, so you won't need to waste time looking for it on that OS. As stated above, it's possible - if your laptop is in original factory condition meaning you've never done any kind of clean install of Windows or anything else on it (like dual booting a Linux distribution that made some partition changes) - that your machine could have a recovery partition on it. That recovery partition has nothing to do with system recovery or refresh just because of the terminology - what it means is that the manufacturer might have created a partition on the storage device (hard drive or SSD, I don't know which) that contains the necessary files (sometimes a complete image) of the actual system partition where Windows is installed at the factory. Getting to that partition and booting from it to start the factory recovery process is usually done by pressing a specific key during the boot process but it depends on the laptop brand/model/etc.

What laptop brand is this (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc) and what model? Provide that info and we can see about the next step.

Even if you can't access the recovery partition, most of the time you can simply use any old Windows 7 install media as the key is stored in the bios of the machine.

Back