Windows 7 Media Center and video "hiccups"

pdawg17

Limp Gawd
I want to troubleshoot my problem so I'm curious what others' experiences have been with Media Center on Windows 7 (RC)...when I stream divx files to my 360 I get quick little "hitches" in the video every 5-10 seconds...the audio is smooth...

I then restored my Vista x64 SP2 image and the same files ran smooth as butter...then did a clean install of Windows 7 x64 RC and the "jerkiness" was back...

Could this be due to the "integrated" Windows 7 codecs? Is there a way to "override" them?

I would also love to hear anyone else's experiences with Media Center...

When your Xbox is playing files, it's on the Xbox to decode the compression, not on the PC, so the Windows 7 "play almost everything" codecs have absolutely nothing to do with it. The decoding is happening on the Xbox itself; the data stream is just being read off the hard drive in the Windows 7 machine...

I'd chalk it up to some network issues myself, especially if it's wireless.

I don't own an Xbox 360 but have played extensively with Windows 7 and 360 integration one weekend while visiting a friend about a month ago and found that with my tx2z over 802.11g things just weren't smooth at all, lots of issues, from features not working to choppy streaming.

As soon as I went wired all the funkiness when away and everything magically began to work. Just an experience I had.

Sorry I didn't mention it...it is a wired connection...and remember it works perfectly with Vista x64 SP1 and 2...

And Joe Average...thanks for the reminder about what does the decoding...that narrows things down a bit...is there anything in Windows 7 to check/tweak as far as networking goes?

try streaming with wmp and media sharing. It could be that the media center isn't as complete as the release candidate would indicate.

Back