Windows 7 License Key Transfers

Decius

n00b
So a local computer store has a promo right now where you can buy a copy of Win7 Home Premium OEM x64 for $99.99 and get a free 500GB HDD. I want to get my mom upgraded to Win7, but her system and usage patterns are better suited to the x86 version.

Basically I wanted to ask, can I use the license key for the x64 OEM Home Premium version that comes with this promo to install x86 OEM Home Premium. The sales people at the local computer store say no, and I have a couple others say yes. I turn to [H] for my final answer.

I suggest you never shop at that computer store again.

You absolutely can use the key on x86 or x64. Fuck, most copies you buy Retail come with both disc. You just can't use both the x64 and x86 copy at the same time on two computers. You have to pick just one to use the key with.

Since it is OEM it will only come with one disk, try to see if they are selling the 32 bit with the deal.

I suggest you never shop at that computer store again.

You absolutely can use the key on x86 or x64. Fuck, most copies you buy Retail come with both disc. You just can't use both the x64 and x86 copy at the same time on two computers. You have to pick just one to use the key with.

Bare in mind this is an OEM copy, not a retail copy. As far as I know the rules are different.

Since it is OEM it will only come with one disk, try to see if they are selling the 32 bit with the deal.

They aren't. I can get an ISO no problems. Just want to make sure the key will work before making the purchase, since it's non-returnable.

It will work. 64 and 32 bit versions share the same key. As long as it's the same product. ie both home premium, both ultimate, etc.

BTW retail and OEM keys are also interchangeable.

Bare in mind this is an OEM copy, not a retail copy. As far as I know the rules are different.
It doesn't matter. I get brand new PC's at work with OEM licensing. They come with 2 restore disc, one 32 and one 64 bit.

Back