Windows 7 License headache, yeah I should have known

tybert7

2[H]4U
So a few months ago while happily using the windows 7 RC I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the full retail copy of windows 7 home premium for 200 bucks.

I was like, hey, may as well get the retail version vs the oem online as I could install it on up to 3 computers just like windows vista and windows xp retail copies....

Guess not. So now I know, too late, that the retail version of windows 7 only grants one license.

I got the retail copy as I was tasked to fix some little girls computer they butchered, so I figured I'd do a clean install of windows 7 on their vista crap system, and switch over my RC windows 7 later on with the same purchase.

Not going to happen because of the Himmler clones who designed the licensing for windows 7.

WTF is the point of a RETAIL copy if not extra licenses over an OEM version? call support? when have I EVER relied on something so terrible as opposed to infinitely more knowledgeable forums??!??

Absolutely useless.

So now I need to get an extra license, how much will it cost? Is there some lower pricepoint and place to get a legit key of windows for lower than another FULL #% DAMN price for another copy of 7?

If not I'll just get an oem copy, and never ever ever recommend a retail copy of windows 7 ever again. Pity, I work part time as a rep for another company in stores on the weekends, this will not help them in my store.

wait so your bitching at Microsoft for YOUR error? lol...

wait so your bitching at Microsoft for YOUR error? lol...

Yes. And also asking if there is a cheaper option to get another license than paying full price for another copy, save oem copies. And also bitching about the sh*t licensing options for windows 7 compared to the predecessors. That last bit stands on its own, independent of any of my errors.

Unless you specifically bought a 3 license pack of XP or Vista, NONE of the retail versions of Windows have ever allowed you to legally install them on three machines at the same time. Who told you that? Maybe they would pass activation 3 times before making you call in, but that doesn't mean it was alright to do it.

You'll just have to search around for some deals. If you're a student, you should be able to buy a copy pretty cheaply.

Unless you specifically bought a 3 license pack of XP or Vista, NONE of the retail versions of Windows have ever allowed you to legally install them on three machines at the same time. Who told you that? Maybe they would pass activation 3 times before making you call in, but that doesn't mean it was alright to do it.

You'll just have to search around for some deals. If you're a student, you should be able to buy a copy pretty cheaply.

To be honest, with past experience it probably had to do with less draconian restrictions on activations of windows xp before they started with all the genuine windows incursions. I'll call them to see, but I'll probably just end up buying an oem copy.

Well apparently they had good reason to get more draconian. ;)

There are some good deals out there. Hit up slickdeals and search their forums.

Could buy a TechNet sub for $350 and get up to 10 keys for Win7 out of it.

Just be careful what you do with them as they will all be linked back to you.

Technet is intended for evaluation of software, not permanent use.

To be honest, with past experience it probably had to do with less draconian restrictions on activations of windows xp before they started with all the genuine windows incursions. I'll call them to see, but I'll probably just end up buying an oem copy.

Less draconian? XP is also required to be activated just as Vista and 7 is. It's been like that for over 10 years now. What rock are you hiding under?

As for buying an OEM copy, you DO realize you'd be tying the OS to one computer permanently, right?

Sounds like someone's not been doing his homework.

Less draconian? XP is also required to be activated just as Vista and 7 is. It's been like that for over 10 years now. What rock are you hiding under?

As for buying an OEM copy, you DO realize you'd be tying the OS to one computer permanently, right?

oem - one machine, cant be transfered to a different machine.

retail - one machine, but you can transfer it to a different machine.

OP i think what you wanted to buy was win 7 family pack

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222001027

oem - one machine, cant be transfered to a different machine.

OP i think what you wanted to buy was win 7 family pack

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222001027

You just repeated what I already said. The OP wants Windows to be on multiple computers and complains that you couldn't use a license on multiple computer, like it's something new.

It's not. Windows has always been for one computer unless you buy corporate or enterprise editions with VLCs per devices - whether it's retail or OEM is irrelevant. One license, one machine at a time. It's always been that way.

i was agreeing with you. i just wanted to add the differences between retail and oem.

What's the procedure? How will windows tell if you're switching between machines or pirating it? How are you supposed to do this without getting flagged?

What not been the case for 10 years is needing activation to get critical security downloads, before that was implemented none of the other "requirements" had any teeth.

As for OEM copies, you need to buy more than 2 of them to cost more than the retail version. How many desktop rigs do people go through over time? My average is about 2-4 years for core systems. I am not seeing the benefit here. For laptops it is usually a moot issue as they come loaded with windows by default.

Perhaps if you are installing it on a system that is a placeholder, or you go through core system upgrades like hard drive additions, I am not seeing the great benefit of retail over oem for the rest of us.

What I am thinking about doing now though is getting a restore disk ordered from the company on that computer I loaded windows 7 on, and use the retail version on my own system. Least cost on my end. Messed up part is having to load vista back on their computer, but I am more important.

Back