Windows 7 - File won't stay deleted.

criccio

Fully Equipped
NOT A BITCH/WHINE THREAD

...now that I got that out of the way. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and the newest version of Firefox. Occasionally when I download a file to my desktop, do what I want with it then delete it, if I hit refresh on the desktop it reappears. The catch is, if I try to run the reappeared file (like i was able to do before I deleted it), i get an error saying I don't have permissions to run the file. No matter how many times I delete it, if I refresh the desktop it reappears.

Eventually, if I leave it alone for awhile the file disappears on its own, only to happen again with another random file I download later on.

ALSO, sometimes when I download a file, the download will almost complete, but I will get an error stating that I cannot save a file to the desktop as the desktop cannot be modified and I do not have the correct permissions. That will result in the download failing, but I will get the same issue as above where I can't get rid of it.

This is very bizarre, anyone have any idea what could be going on? And yes, I posted ALL of these issues in a "Send Feedback" to Microsoft.

**EDIT**

Now files won't even let me delete them. I even tried to do it via the command line. I was trying to download CamStudio to make a video of the issue I am having but I DLed the wrong file so I tried to delete it.

Here is the command line output:
Untitled-25.png

Here is the Security tab for one of the files that will not delete:
Untitled2-3.png

The files that let me delete them but keep reappearing also look like that ^

Well after alot of downloading random freeware apps from Download.com just to test, I have concluded there is something SERIOUSLY fucked up with Firefox and saving to the Desktop. If I have FF save to the Downloads folder all is well.

No one has any ideas what could be going on?

EDIT

Just tried Unlocker and FileASSASIN, both fail to delete the files...

I can't seem to recreate your problem. Maybe, your default permission got changed. If you truly believe, this isn't a permission related, there are better Windows disk tool to find out which process is locking that file.

I really don't see how it could be as this is a fresh install. All I did was install Firefox. What specific utility are you talking about?

I really don't see how it could be as this is a fresh install. All I did was install Firefox. What specific utility are you talking about?

I'm a big fan of Sysinternal products. They are free. You can download free from Microsoft since Mark Russinovich works for MS. He is a brilliant Windows kernel hacker.
Try process monitor and filemon. I recommend downloading the entire suite. Many of them are very useful.

Ok, first problem with the Downloads folder now. Downloaded the top 10 apps from Download.com and they where automatically downloaded to my Downloads folder. I immediatly tried to delete them and cannot. Right click and hitting Delete does nothing. del command in the command line gives me Access denied.

I must be an idiot, everyone else is loving Windows 7. :rolleyes:

Ok, first problem with the Downloads folder now. Downloaded the top 10 apps from Download.com and they where automatically downloaded to my Downloads folder. I immediatly tried to delete them and cannot. Right click and hitting Delete does nothing. del command in the command line gives me Access denied.

I must be an idiot, everyone else is loving Windows 7. :rolleyes:

I'm not loving it. I just like to know more about different OSes. Maybe, there is a bug somewhere. I'm also using Firefox.

Only place I can't really download something directly too is the root of the OS partition, that triggers a UAC prompt (expected, so not surprising) and I'd never do something so silly anyway. But I can download anything to any other location without issues, on any of the machines I have Windows 7 on presently (7 total).

Not sure what the "issue" here is as I can't replicate it myself, it could just be something specific to your particular setup. I really have no idea, but as I noted in a PM, stop downloading shit to the Desktop. Bad idea... :D

Back