windows 2003 server networking problem

blackpacu

Limp Gawd
I recently setup at winodws 2003 server and am trying to connect it to my home network.
The workgroup name is BASEMENT and i have that properly configured however when I go to connect to the work group i get the following error: You don not have access to the resource. contact sys. admin.
windows was not able to find the list of servers for the workgroup.

In network places i can see the workgroup but i cannont access it.

This is a fresh install. besids adding an additional admin. account and turing on the windows firewall I have done nothing else to the system.

I have ran windows update on this machine and also get an error w/ vssapi.dll, but i dotn think that is causing this.

The other machines on the network, a xp pro and xp home can both see each other and can see the server in the workgroup but cannot connect to it.

The xp pro machine is currently running ics w/ its own firewalls. yes i have tried this w/o the firewall however it still didnt work. Im looking to replace the xp pro maching w/ 2003 to use as a file server.

Any insight as to why windows networking is not working on 2003?

also does anyone know if i reinstall windows 2003 on the same machine(if i can't find a fix to the vssapi.dll prob) if that will mess up the product activation?

Thanks

Have you added the other users to the win2k3 server with the same name and passwords?

yea, I tried that, didnt work
Im going to move ics from my xp pro machine to 2k3 server machine, i know when i had 2k server running that it like that better for the windows networking to funciton, I have a feeling this may be the same thing

Back