Windows 10 Anniversary redo from scratch.

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
Damn, looks like I am going to have to redo my computer at home from scratch. :( Mind you, the original installation was on a 6700k and z170 motherboard. I did not redo when I switched back to the AMD 970 platform and it appears that Windows 10 Anniversary update is having issues with that. Standard Sata controller drivers are having issues writing to edb.log files and when I switch to the AMD drivers, everything seems to work fine except the computer crashed on restarted on me once this morning.

I have had this machine lock up a few times in the past when I pushed the overclocking to far. Basically, what I am saying is yep, it is my fault but does anyone have any suggestions that can save me from all the work? I already tried manually removing some of the left behind Intel drivers which seemed to help some but, still not entirely stable. In fact, I had to do a over the top install of Windows 10.10586 just to get the Anniversary update to install successfully.

I have also toyed with the release previews and rolled back a couple of times.

You used to be able to delete the enum key from the registry to make Windows re-detect hardware and then you could install correct drivers but I expect Microsoft took that ability away in Win10.

You used to be able to delete the enum key from the registry to make Windows re-detect hardware and then you could install correct drivers but I expect Microsoft took that ability away in Win10.

I do not think that has ever been safe to use but, the last time I did that was on a WIndows 98 SE computer. :D I was hoping that swapping the hardware with a redo would work but, nope, too good to be true. ;) Oh well, it happens and all those overclocking lockups and install and rollbacks could not have helped either.

Well, seeing as you have to reinstall anyway delete the enum key first and tell us what happens. :)

If you use the refresh option in the diagnostic startup settings it will totally reinstall Windows, including all the drivers.

If you use the refresh option in the diagnostic startup settings it will totally reinstall Windows, including all the drivers.

Yep, but it is essentially a redo from scratch which means I would need to reinstall all the software from scratch. :( Have not bothered yet because I do not feel like doing it at the moment. Thanks though.

I have to wonder if that setup is fully stable hardware wise.....I personally haven't seen windows crash a hole lot from simply needing a fresh reinstall stall.....I could see it having issues of course but random bsods and crashing would have me doing stability checks and looking for better bios settings

I have to wonder if that setup is fully stable hardware wise.....I personally haven't seen windows crash a hole lot from simply needing a fresh reinstall stall.....I could see it having issues of course but random bsods and crashing would have me doing stability checks and looking for better bios settings

Yeah random crashes are mostly caused by hardware trouble in my experience. Power supply is one of the nastiest to go as flaky power may induce errors in random components. I've seen more than one new PSU go bad from the start. Second most common problem is ram, mass storage third and in very rare cases thermal issues or failure of mobo/cpu.

My first PC ever drove me nuts, it had the super stable Win95 :D and it just crashed randomly. When I sent it to the service they claimed it was working just fine. Then after 3rd trip I asked them if they were testing it using my own hard drive or their own. Turned out that they were testing it using a different hdd and they could repeat the crash using my own (new) hdd.

So they were kind enough to replace the hdd and ship it back BLANK. I was too noob to even complain about losing my data.

CLEAN INSTALL OR DEATH!!! :D
Prior to 10 I would agree, but the upgrade experience with 10 is so improved I haven't had to. My work PC has been upgraded from 10240 to both releases and so far absolutely zero issues. My home upgraded from 1511 to 1607 without issues.

Prior to 10 I would agree, but the upgrade experience with 10 is so improved I haven't had to. My work PC has been upgraded from 10240 to both releases and so far absolutely zero issues. My home upgraded from 1511 to 1607 without issues.

I've moved Win 7 installations across various CPU-s, chipsets (AMD<->Intel included), drives, GPUs and laptops and never had a problem.

I've moved Win 7 installations across various CPU-s, chipsets (AMD<->Intel included), drives, GPUs and laptops and never had a problem.

The upgrade on my main rig went fine... but I have found a few laptops and a desktop that took a super crazy amount of time.

Same laptop upgraded from a clean install of windows 7 took about 30 minutes. Then a clean install took about 10 minutes.

Clean is always better, especially when you are having problems and have gone back and forth multiple times.

By this time you could have probably wiped the drive and started from scratch if you hadn't messed with trying to get a messed up Windows install to seem to work properly.

Just as a heads up: The problem is my AData 480GB SSD. :( I have a image of my system on a 180 GB Intel SSD so, when I did the reset and it did not fix the problem, I cloned the drive back to the 480, installed the 1067 update and the problem reoccurred. Then I booted off the 180, install the 1607 update and the system worked correctly. I did test the SSD and it passed but, it is clear now that it is the problem. (It was probably also the problem all along when I was not getting a clean shutdown using the hybrid shutdown when on the Intel setup from time to time.)

Here is the error I receive: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Back