Windows 10 and drive performance?

cyclone3d

Fully [H]
Has anybody else noticed that drive performance seems to be a lot lower in Windows 10 than in Windows 8.1?

It isn't really noticeable under normal usage, but if you go to copy files from one drive to another (SSD or HDD) or even do benches on an SSD the speed just tanks.

The Intel 6Gb controller is just horrible in Windows 10. On an SSD that would normally be at about 540MB/s read, it gives me 180MB/s read.

On an ASMedia or Marvell 6Gb controller, it gives around a 350MB/s read.

Makes no sense.

The IOPs are all over the place as well.

This is with build 10130. I hadn't tested previous builds.

It's not finished yet. :)

And there's still a lot debug crap in the builds released so far. We technically haven't even gotten to a Release Candidate stage yet, which they may just decide to pass on completely.

After dealing with Windows versions for decades now I think they're gonna have issues with that July 29th GA date that's been announced. After testing out all the legit released builds and quite a few of the non-legit leaked builds, I just can't see them making that date and Windows 10 being a pretty solid OS from "Day One," so to speak. I know there's more people testing this OS than anything in Microsoft's history but I honestly cannot imagine this product will be truly ready to go on July 29th.

I imagine that in the days and weeks following the GA release date we'll see horror stories from every corner of this planet and they won't die down anytime soon.

This is likely caused by debug code, unoptimized drivers, or a combination of both. This is probably particularly true for the Intel controller - since I don't think Intel has released official Windows 10 drivers yet for most of their disk controllers.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Vista had this same type of issue until SP1, only a whole lot worse.

Windows 7 had something similar for a bit, but it didn't take them long to fix it.

This is one of the bugs Ive encountered with Win10. A couple of days ago I moved a file folder that had a few hundred gigabytes of stuff.

Move should be near instant operation, Win10 decided it needed to start to 'calculate' the time required to move that amount of data so it hung a loooong time instead of just doing the move. Disappointing.

This is one of the bugs Ive encountered with Win10. A couple of days ago I moved a file folder that had a few hundred gigabytes of stuff.

Move should be near instant operation, Win10 decided it needed to start to 'calculate' the time required to move that amount of data so it hung a loooong time instead of just doing the move. Disappointing.

Nice. Yeah, moving files/folder to a different location on the same drive should be pretty much instant.

I haven't actually had the problem you are describing though. I replaced some lower capacity drives with higher capacity ones and was moving stuff over.

HDD transfers seem only slightly messed up.. but SSD stuff just seems way off.

Back