Win7: Should I install older directX versions (9, 10)?

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
All my steam games are playing fine but I tired to start COD:4 and it complained about DX3d9.dll missing.

Can I just grab this dll somewhere or am I going to have to install directX9? Last time I installed two versions of directX ontop of each other I got screwed.

Installing the latest Direct X 9 update can help if you're having issues with games. There's no downside to installing the newest Direct X fiels you download from Microsoft.

I dont even have a dx3d9.dll on my win7 system and COD4 runs fine. Are you trying to run an old install of COD4 from a dx9 system?

There was something about the win7 DX11 not containing all the files from DX9. Install the dx9 runtime if you have issues but this sounds more like a COD4 issue.

Download dxwebsetup.exe (google it, it should be the first result) and run it. This will download any DirectX files you don't have and make sure everything is up to date.

There's an editorial on techarp about this. While I think techarp's editorials are very good and discuss a wide range of topics I feel the DX 9 will break Vista one is purely false.

Basically the writer says that if you install DX 9 onto your Vista machine, it will break DX10 or if you install DX10 it will break your DX9. He forgets to mention though that you can use the dxweb installer which simply updates your directX as a whole. Someone in the feedback forum pointed this out to him, he acknowledges it and simply continues to post this original information without including the information about the dxweb installer.

I think the article is important because it can point out that sometimes, I suppose, it could be possible for your DX to be broke if a game updates DX and could possible mess with the other version of DX for systems that have both. I just think it's equally important to discuss how you fix it. All of my DX issues have been fixed by using the web installer rather than individual components or monthly upgrade packages. The editorial simply does not include this information.

I simply feel the only necessary DX download ever needed is the DXweb installer which updates your entire DX software catalog rather than a specific component.

Back