Win2k3 Server - User profiles

pug

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't remember what's it called but I would like to setup my Win2k Server box as a domain controller but all my icons, etc but stored on the server for the desktop. I don't know even if that's possible.

It would be cool to log into any machine and your desktop be the same from computer to computer.

pug said:
I don't remember what's it called but I would like to setup my Win2k Server box as a domain controller but all my icons, etc but stored on the server for the desktop. I don't know even if that's possible.

It would be cool to log into any machine and your desktop be the same from computer to computer.

It's called a roaming profile. Basically you store the profile on the server and each time to log into a computer it downloads the profile to the computer you are sitting at, then saves the changes back to the server.

Take note though that although your desktop, and menus may be the same, you will need to install your programs on each and every computer you plan on logging on to. A workaround to that is to custom build MSI files that will automaticall install the programs where ever you log on to.

The downside to auto installing the programs each time you login: slow machines take even longer to boot up.

If the desktop systems are relatively new (1 GHz at least), then that is a good suggestion. The slight increase in boot-up or login times will be minimal.

Are you looking to implement this into a business setting or just for around the house?

If it is a business setting, go to common images with roaming profiles. That way, most of the major programs you will want installed will already be on all the systems and then the roaming profile will make each feel like home to you.

We did this where I used to work and it was great. Anytime I was on a service call and needed something from my desktop or wanted to work on something or use something my user account had rights to, I just logged in and all the programs I wanted were there.

Back