Win2k3 - Logon Issue

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got an interest problem that just cropped up for me. I've got a server running Win2k3 that won't let me, and just me, log on. In fact, if I use a different account, it works fine!

When I enter my username and password, it just goes back to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen. There is no error, or no delay -- just right back to this screen. There are no logs relating to this in any event log.

It started when my local profile was deleted. I have tried to copy an existing profile and assign it to my account (using the profile tool in computer properties), but that didn't seem to work.

If I open an RDP session, after I log on it just closes. If I log in at the console I can see the screen change from my username/password screen to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen.

Any ideas?

I saw this in windows xp. I took the userinit.exe file from my good notebook and overwrote the userinit.exe using a preinstall environment (bartpe).. I was able to login, but had to spend the next hour cleaning it and scanning it.

It's a terminal server with 50 people on it that are working just fine. It's only my account -- I can even use my administrative account and it works fine!

I filtered the users onto another server and rebooted it and it's running fine now. It was weird though -- it was just my account!

Definitely sound like a corrupted profile.

On the terminal server, ask your admin to go into your user folders and back up your documents, then right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, the Settings under "User Profiles".

Have them highlight your user name, and delete the profile.

Then try logging onto the terminal server again to recreate your profile, then copy your stuff back into your user folders.

Back