Win2k3 DNS Server

aderuwe

Limp Gawd
I use my server as a DNS server and I was wondering if there was a way to have www.my_domain.com forwarded to 192.168.1.2 for all the computers inside the network? Is it adding a CNAME (Alias) or a host (A)? Or is that way off?

Thanks, Adam

how about adding the host WWW and giving it the address 192.168.0.2. It will, of course, only work inside your network, but it sounds like that's what you're trying to do.

Originally posted by DarkOne_BW
how about adding the host WWW and giving it the address 192.168.0.2. It will, of course, only work inside your network, but it sounds like that's what you're trying to do.

you can do that and it will work, but what if he uses this a public website? then the private ip will get returns to the internet client and won't be able to connect. If its just an internal website that is fine. If its public i would just add a staic mapping to your clints in the %systemroot%\windows\drivers\etc\hosts

it has an example in the file but basically add a line:

192.168.0.2 www.my_domain.com

As long as your DNS is resolving for internal clients only, then go ahead and make a new Forward Lookup zone for yourdomain.com, and then add an A record for WWW

Here's a screenie of my Internal DNS:

dnsmgmt.jpg

screenie.jpg

I have it setup just like that, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks, Adam

Yes, that's what I can't figure out. In the "DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :" area, it says 192.168.1.2, the IP address of the win2k3 box.

Adam

You need to add the DNS suffix for that particular DNS name.

That should enable you to query from the workstation.

Back