win2k3 DHCP settings?

Hey all,

This might be more for the network forum, but il try here first. I'm playing away with windows server 2003, its my first trip into networking beyond the workgroup and its fun!

I'm trying to set up RIS, i have it loaded, images created, and it works... if DHCP is running off the server. However i already assigned that job to my Linksys. Now i know its easier just to turn of DHCP on the linksys and set it up on the server. But I'm wondering if instead i can have the linksys remain as a DHCP server and allow the RIS to work?

I no doubt have to tell Win2K3 where the DHCP is done, or something, or do i need to foward a port on the DHCP? end result, DHCP on switch, RIS on server, how can i make them work together?

Thanks

According to this article no, you dont need to use Microsoft DNS or DHCP services with ris.
RIS

When the DHCP server and the RIS server arre on the same server, the client only needs to send out one DHCP Request. The DHCP server queries the RIS server and it can send out the location of the RIS server with its DHCP offer. The ACK will also include the nameof the first file the client should request.

On Different servers: the client will send out a RIS discover request after it obtains DHCP lease.

Note: Doh I re-read your post and see its win20003. My answer is specific to Win 2000, I would hate to ASSUME they are the similar...

Back