Win XP x64 Media Player Installer?

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed XP x64 again from a slipstream, made from nlite.

I cut media player out and I want it now, dont feel like doing a reinstall for just that though, but the installer for MP10 and 11 says only for 32bit OSes.

Is there no 64bit installer?

can't you just use the standard add remove control panel, and on the left side click the button for adding and removing windows components. Then in that list you should be able to add windows media player ..

defuseme2k said:
can't you just use the standard add remove control panel, and on the left side click the button for adding and removing windows components. Then in that list you should be able to add windows media player ..

Nope, not listed.

Are you certain that the WinXP x64 media player is actually a 64 bit application?

Jeff Foley said:
I have the retail version of XP x64 and when I start Media Player it has a "*32" listed next to it in the task manager, which means it's running 32-bit.

But the WMP10 and WMP11 installers wont install, says for 32bit operating systems only.

Couple questions... are you running a legal version? I noticed M$ is doing alot more verifying lately. Second, are you using M$ IE to try and download media player? I just tried with FireFox and the M$ website detected that I was running 2003 Server and wouldn't let me download. Then I tried with IE and everything was detected ok and the download started.

Here's the link I pulled from IE...
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B625-D3D92B950CF4/wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe

Ya its a legit OEM disc, I tried running it in windows XP compatibility and it asks for validation then and says im not validated, gives me a link to MS validation site and then it tells me theres no validation tool for XP x64.

EDIT: ya I tried in IE

im having the same problem and I'm on a legit copy of xp x64 oem.... everything on microsoft site keeps pointing to v11 beta 2..... M$ keeps forgeting about us x64 users :(

k, you can install it through add/remove programs in contol panel... i had tried to install a version of wmp11 on xp x64 and something got messed so i couldnt get back to v10... so i just installed and uninstalled through control panel a few times and it fixed it back to x10....sorry im drunk if im not making sense

wmp.jpg

ryan_975 said:
According to this thread (had a popup so Beware) MS doesn't make a version of WMP for XP x64. Are you sure you didn't remove the old version of Media Player (6.4 I believe) with nLite, or maybe that nLite just listed it because it's a standard feature in XP (32bit)?

http://p067.ezboard.com/ffurysedgefrm12.showMessage?topicID=72.topic

Ya I had isntalled this before, without using nlite and it had WMP10, 32bit, but I cant dl and install it.

Imaulle, I cant install it from there, not listed.

oh ;;

you want me to zip everything in my C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Media Player\

for ya? i dono if that would work or not

I'm loaded up in vista atm so I can't look at my sysoc.inf to look at the lines there so it will show up in the add/remove windows component list. Perhaps another person can get you the line to add, and I think you'll probably have to use your original disc.. not the new slipstreamed one.

ryan_975 said:
Why not just copy the original sysoc.ini file from the original media?

Cool, i'll try that, didnt know anythign about a sysoc file before now :)

Nope, that just makes the Add/remove Windows components section error out, eh, I give up.

If I want media player that bad I'll reslip the disc with media player.

next time I am inside my install of x64 I'll get you the line to add to your current sysoc.inf, perhaps then it might work, especially if you reslip the disc with it included.

I've never tried copying it from the installation media before, and it sounds like it should work :(. I'd hate for you to have to reinstall over wmp, sounds kinda retarded

defuseme2k said:
next time I am inside my install of x64 I'll get you the line to add to your current sysoc.inf, perhaps then it might work, especially if you reslip the disc with it included.

I've never tried copying it from the installation media before, and it sounds like it should work :(. I'd hate for you to have to reinstall over wmp, sounds kinda retarded

Ya but its also retarted that MS doesnt have a DL for it for x64, or a validation tool, and that it detects XP x64 correctly and offers me WMP11, yet it wont install on x64.

Oh well. Thanks everyone.

YARDofSTUF said:
and offers me WMP11, yet it wont install on x64.

And the thing that bugs me most about WMP 11 Beta not installing on x64 is that it's not even a 64 bit incompatibility (as many of you know WMP 10 on x64 is actually a 32 bit program). Microsoft has not added support yet for Windows Operating Systems based on the Server 2003 kernel for WMP 11. So until they add support for the Server 2003 kernel, we are all stuck with WMP 10. :mad: *shakes fist, I want WMP 11!* :(

YARDofSTUF said:
Ya but its also retarted that MS doesnt have a DL for it for x64, or a validation tool, and that it detects XP x64 correctly and offers me WMP11, yet it wont install on x64.

Oh well. Thanks everyone.
There are ways of looking at things and there are ways of looking at things..........

I'd personally consider it to be rather 'retarded' that people fuss so much about 'Windows bloat' that they get busy removing Windows components with third-party tools, and then later cry because they find that they actually need the things and are having trouble putting them back.

With another 300Gb of drive storage space easily fitted to the system for no more than it costs to take the missus out for dinner at a restaurant, it simply makes no sense to me to be in such a hurry to remove stuff. Why not simply disable or even simply not use the components you don't want?

I'm sorry that this post doesn't actually address the question, by the way, but I think it fair to respond to such comments in this way. It's not Microsoft's fault if people have stuffed about with the installation and created problems for themselves, and it's not fair to label them as 'retarded' when this happens!

Catweazle said:
There are ways of looking at things and there are ways of looking at things..........

I'd personally consider it to be rather 'retarded' that people fuss so much about 'Windows bloat' that they get busy removing Windows components with third-party tools, and then later cry because they find that they actually need the things and are having trouble putting them back.

With another 300Gb of drive storage space easily fitted to the system for no more than it costs to take the missus out for dinner at a restaurant, it simply makes no sense to me to be in such a hurry to remove stuff. Why not simply disable or even simply not use the components you don't want?

I'm sorry that this post doesn't actually address the question, by the way, but I think it fair to respond to such comments in this way. It's not Microsoft's fault if people have stuffed about with the installation and created problems for themselves, and it's not fair to label them as 'retarded' when this happens!

Ya I realize the WMP10 this is all my fault, it was mostly an experiment with nlite. But MS made the OS, and they made WMP11, adn they made them not work together, yet their site will try to offer it to me as a compatible download? grrrr.

And really the only reason why it wont work is becasue there is no validation tool, probably becasue they dont axpect high amounts of piracy from XP/2003 x64

Back