Win XP - Wierd problem after unlocking workstation

Jivemiguel

Gawd
I'm having an annoying problem on my fresh install of Win XP. When I leave the computer, I have to lock it, and when I log back in, the taskbar looks like this:

Left side, start button and quick launch links
taskl.jpg

Right side, the task tray and clock
taskr.jpg

It will stay like this for anywhere from a half second to ten seconds. Everything else is responsive: i.e. I can open desktop icons, and if any windows are open, I can interact with them as normal. But the task bar is 'frozen'. It always comes back, but it is really annoying.

I've scanned for viruses using an updated NOD32, scanned for spyware with spybot AND adaware, and I've updated my video drivers. I DO NOT have 'auto hide taskbar' on (or whatever it's called), and I've tried it both with the taskbar locked and unlocked.

I noticed today that when I make any changes on the Taskbar and start menu properties window, when I click OK, it takes a very long time for that window to clear. That might be associated with it, or it might not.

Has anybody seen this happen before or can anyone suggest a solution? Any input would be appreciated.

Your not using any skins on XP are you? That is odd behavior. Odd too that it's on a fresh install, maybe the sytem files are messed up. Run chkdsk /f , and "sfc /scannow" to check the OS integrity. Only ever seen this using windows blinds or a skinning program

No, not using windows blinds or any skinning programs. I'll try the commands you suggested and see what happens. Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming!

Back