Win Server 2003 & Win 7 Setup Question.

gjvah

n00b
Hello guys. I'm trying to setup a network at my workplace (doing a favor) but I'm stuck trying to make Windows 7 and Server 2003 work together. Network is going to consist of 4 PCs. 1 Server, 2 laptops (wireless) and a desktop (lan).

I built the server from scratch, it's pretty basic since it has only one function, to serve as a main rig for a multiuser setup for Mitchell UltraMate (a program for writing estimates). It's running Windows Server 2003 PR2.

There are 5 static IPs, one is for the server, the other 3 are setup on the workstations and one is reserved for the DVR (someone else's problem). The server and workstations are setup in the same workgroup, and all PCs can see one another.

I got remote access working, I can login to the server though all of the workstations through the Win 7 built in Remote Access utility.

Next step is mapping a network drive from the server onto the workstations. This is unfortunately the only way Mitchell is going to work in a multi-user configuration. This is where I need some help. No matter what I try, I cannot get the workstations to see the network drive that Mitchell creates on the server.

Here's what I've done / tried so far:

- Added the workstation users in the share permissions with full access on the server.

- Changed the local network security policy to "Send LM & NTLM use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

- Tried mapping the drive both by sever name and ip. (e.g. //server/mitchell and //172.111.111.1/mitchell) as per instructions form the program.

- Changed the access to the folder to "everyone" with full control.

I keep getting a network password error when trying to map the drive, regardless of what user/pass I use.

Any ideas?

TIA

Are the workstations joined to a domain? If not, (if its a workgroup) the usernames and passwords must match on both the server and the workstation.

Are the workstations joined to a domain? If not, the usernames and passwords must match on both the server and the workstation.

The usernames and passwords match. I added the users on the server, and manually put in the passwords. The credentials work when you try to login through remote desktop, but when I try to map the drive, it's asking me for a "network password". I do not have a network password. How would I add the workstations onto the domian. I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't have much experience with this type of stuff. Thanks for the quick reply btw, this place seems awesome. :D

EDIT: at first the workstations were in a separate workgroup (named workgroup) and the server was in a workgroup named the same as the domain. I manually changed the workstations worgroup to be the same as the server. Now they're all in the same workgroup (the server's domain). I did this from where you change the computer name (in win 7).

You've ran through every password used thus far in Windows Server 2003 setup? I'd say it would probably be the Admins password of the server, unless they are all the same just for the sake of simplicity.

Edit: Well damn, I didn't think there would be so many issues just with a basic google search. I'm hearing tips of shutting down Windows Firewall/AV's for Windows 7, people saying it doesn't work. Others are saying it can be a UAC interfering with network locations if it's left turned on. This link explains.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937624

One person seems to have found a solution:

http://www.miguelvallejo.com/cant-m...ve-on-windows-7-enter-network-password-error/

This might help if you're bored.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d...0899575c5038f4&bpcl=38093640&biw=1486&bih=929

I'm guessing you already added the user with permissions to access the shared folder? Good luck. So much easier to do just about everything in Windows 2008 lol, 2003 is just starting to show its age at this point.

Last edited:
You've ran through every password used thus far in Windows Server 2003 setup? I'd say it would probably be the Admins password of the server, unless they are all the same just for the sake of simplicity.

Yes,I've tried them all, including the local Admin passwords. It's a network password that I'm missing. Is it possible the server created a network password that I'm not aware of? The workstations prompt me for a network password, and everything I try comes back as incorrect. I tried switching the domain in the prompt, since by default win 7 uses the local machine as domain. e.g. Adam-PC/User1. By typing in Server\User-1 in the username box, I can switch the domain to the server while logging in, but that doesn't work either. I cannot access any shared folders on the server. I can't even see them in the network tree. As soon as I try to expand the server directory from the network tree I get prompted with a network password. :confused:

Ok, I think I'm just gonna install server 2008 and go from there. Will update with results.

Got it working with Server 2003. Left the domain on the workstation, joined the generic workgroup, deleted all users from the server, removed all permissions and it mapped. lol.. This makes no sense to me, but it worked. Thanks guys.

Back