win 8 and upgrading your motherboard

Erudito87

n00b
hey is it true that with windows 8 you dont have to reinstall an os when you change your mobo

You can do it with 7 now and I've done it before with XP Pro although I would recommend doing a fresh install, it creates less problems and a fresh install is the way to go when changing hardware IMO.

You can do it with 7 now and I've done it before with XP Pro although I would recommend doing a fresh install, it creates less problems and a fresh install is the way to go when changing hardware IMO.

Maybe I should've talked to you first prior to me swapping out the board because I ended up reinstalling Win7. Tried every which way but it won't successfully boot. Maybe Win 8 will be better.

Don't have to, and should, are two different things. I would never change a motherboard without reinstalling, unless it was the exact same chipset.

Don't have to, and should, are two different things. I would never change a motherboard without reinstalling, unless it was the exact same chipset.

Unless it's the same chipset at the VERY least. It usually works but I have almost always eeen odd issues as a result of doing this. I've had pretty good luck so long as the model of the board has been identical like in the case of hardware failures / replacements. Even then Windows typically wishes to be reactivated.

I haven't had a problem doing this in 7. Have had the same build for the last 2.5 years and it's been through 4 different rigs. Still rock solid. Only asked to reactivate on the most recent rig.

Unless it's the same chipset at the VERY least. It usually works but I have almost always eeen odd issues as a result of doing this. I've had pretty good luck so long as the model of the board has been identical like in the case of hardware failures / replacements. Even then Windows typically wishes to be reactivated.

I've done 3 Intel swaps with my Win7 and my brother did 2 AMD swaps and today he did an AMD 1090T to i7 2600K and was up and running after I told him to change AHCI to IDE in the BIOS since Win7 wouldn't load or repair itself (same thing happened to me with the AHCI setting)
Changed the drive mode and it booted up, found the new hardware and he was good to go.

Went from an MSI H61M-E33 to an MSI Z68MA-ED55 without a problem on Win7. Very similar chipsets obviously though.

I had also gone from a 785G to a 785G on a Win7 install previously (not this same one.. I'm almost positive I re-installed when I went AMD -> Intel)

so long as Windows runs on a open hardware platform there will always be a chance of a necessary re-install to swap boards and or CPUs.

That being said if you know what your doing, a swap without rebuild is almost always doable. Not always ideal...

Personally I would do a clean install when swapping out a major component.

Back