win 7 to win 7 ics hell

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
First of all, let me say that I am able to share files all freaking day with my two computers.. But I cannot for the life of me get ics to function properly with these two win 7 computers..

I have now resolved to manually enter the ip address ranges 192.168.0.3 for the host computer and 192.168.0.45 for the computer trying to connect to the internet through the host.. I set its default gateway as the host computers ip address 192.168.0.3 to no avail, but I do not have any clue what default gateway number to put in for the actual host computer under the land adapter... What ip address do I need to put in here?

Btw, a backdrop on my situation.. I"m connecting to the net using an isdn TA that works and is surfing just fine on the host computer.. It is connected through a usb port on the host computer.. I wish I could just go purchase a simple land router/TA for this, but that is a hard item to find..

Any freaking ideas? I"ve even fully disabled homegroup in both win7 computers from the network menue and even the two entries in services.msc file...

doesn't the ICS wizard walk you through setting up the DHCP scope and all that good stuff?

did you actually run the ICS wizard?

I enabled the share this connection with other computers. But I didn't see an honest to god wizard to use.. I"ve tried the diagnose this connection about 1000 times and to no avail

...... okay, i'll bite.. Where in windows 7 is this wizard.. and please don't say network and sharing center... Its not there

...... okay, i'll bite.. Where in windows 7 is this wizard.. and please don't say network and sharing center... Its not there

lemme hop in to one of my Win7 VDI VMs and see if there is one.

Honestly, I've never even attempted to deal with ICS. I do know that in WinXP, there was an ICS wizard to set it up, since it would need to add a "gateway role," so to say.

I just assumed there was a wizard in Win7, also.

For the life of me I cannot find it.. I"m familiar with a wizard in xp, but win 7? Even the windows help documentation doesn't mention the wizard.. Just says to click on the connections properties, tell it to share etc and your pretty much done...

For the life of me I cannot find it.. I"m familiar with a wizard in xp, but win 7? Even the windows help documentation doesn't mention the wizard.. Just says to click on the connections properties, tell it to share etc and your pretty much done...

yup, looks like there is no wizard in Win7.

also to note, in Win7 all client computers should be receiving an IP of 192.168.137.x

not sure if this would be helpful? since it is talking about an XP to Win7 ICS, but info could still be relevant?

Here's a checklist of things for ICS and file sharing for 2 croslinked computers (in my case a Windows 7 and XP one):

- both computers set to the same workgroup
- restarts
- advanced sharing settings - all things turned on (network discovery etc.) except for password protected sharing
- bridged the connection with the internet
- turned on Internet Connection Sharing for the internet connection - this forced an ip to the other connection (192.168.137.1) and gave an option to select which connection should have access to the ICS (the second connection or the bridge - you choose the second / crosslinked cable connection)
- shared some folders on both computers
- worked instantly (the other pc aquired a correct ip and internet)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/19171-internet-connection-sharing-between-7-xp.html

lil more info here that may be of use
http://social.answers.microsoft.com...k/thread/8fa4f102-e6f2-4d46-be37-2c1b2f9d69d2

Lots of good information here.. But I am still having issues :-/.... I can transfer a dvd movie in less than a minute on this network, but I cannot surf so much as one byte of information on the second computer through this one ... Is there a true way to totally clear out all NIC information and start from scratch? Sides a wipe and reinstall of windows? Being on dialup, the patches can be a pain in the ass!

It is odd. There really just isn't any hard core information on what to do in this situation.. I loves microsofts helper suggestion.. "Ask a Friend".. lol.. Where the hell is the documentation?!?!

Okay, while at work being the productive bastard that I am I heavily researched my problem once again.. To solve my problem, I put both machines back to automatic ip addressing via dhcp. and on the host computer I went to network sharing, and got up the adapters and went to the in my case modems properties and UNshared the connection for sharing. I then after clicking okay on that right clicked on my modem in the adapter screen and unchecked it as the default setting.. I then restarted both machines.

When the host machine booted up, I went back to adapter settings and checked to share the internet box under the modem properties in the sharing tab, clicked okay, then connected.. Bam, it works.. IT is some sorta F"ED Up win 7 bug that sometimes happens with adapters and ics .

To sum it up.. Turn off ics, uncheck the default connection for that modem, and restart, then reenable sharing and connect to the net. (oh, and make sure you have every machines ip address on automatic)

Back