Win 7 Task Manager and Regedit missing?

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
WTF, I'm not sure whats going on, but recently my computers Task Manager and Regedit been missng, says it cannot open because its missing, making a trip to System32 indicates both exe's for Regedit and Task Manager there, even when I open it there, it still says the exe for both programs missing. Any ideas, this is really pissing me off.

Maybe you got infected? Run a scan and then run a repair installation from your install discs.

They're commonly disabled on your system when malware hits it. Much of todays rogue/fake alerts are very easy to clean off your system with the tools available today, recommend reviewing the stickied "malware" thread over in the networking and security forum.

Thanks guys, will try it out now and reply back later, yeah I think my computer is infected, and it lags fair bit now too.

I'd suggest two things.

Full Scan with both MSE and then with MalewareBytes (MSE first though).

Once that's complete, run from the command line ...

sfc /scannow

... to rebuild any corrupted/missing system files. Have an operating system disc ready that matches the SP level of your current installation.

+1 MrGuvernment, did a quick scan with Malware Bytes just now and found 4 infections, removed it, restart, now everything is at peace and all fine. Thanks anyways those who contributed onto trying to help.

@Bigdogchris: I tried the scannow command, but I get a Windows Resouce Protection detected corrupt files but unable to repair them at about 100% scan

nasty.png

I would back-up, wipe, reinstall, restore. You never know if any of those malware pieces downloaded another piece of malware which is not detected by any of the scanners you choose to run... Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I sure wouldn't want my bank/steam/etc info swiped because of it.

Back