Win 7 keeps crashing just before final load?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I am having issues with my htpc. It keeps crashing just as the windows logo is about to turn into the desktop screen. Everything seems fine up to that point then boom. Not a reboot either. The pc is frozen until I physically power it off. I swapped HDs and reinstalled windows 7 on a known working hd as the old one was getting chdisk errors. However, exact same issue with the new hd.

Power supply? Update bios? Upgrade to 8? Ideas? Thanks

I have experienced a similar issue, most often on reboot but occasionally on boot. I have narrowed it down to a timing issue on the initialization of the video drivers. More specifically a bad read of the EDID on the second monitor which uses a displayport to DVI-D adapter. I can reproduce the error in certain Linux distros as well.

Hope that gives you some help as to where you might look.

Hmm. Might have to reinstall windows just to get it to boot and then install different drivers. Ok. It is worth a shot. Thanks!

Hmm. Might have to reinstall windows just to get it to boot and then install different drivers. Ok. It is worth a shot. Thanks!

I would try booting into safe mode with only a plain jane VGA monitor attached first. If successful, from there you can fully uninstall and reinstall your video drives.

BTW interference on poorly shielded video cable lying near other cables such a audio or power will make the problem worse.

It works fine in safe mode. AS soon as I install nvidia drivers the problem returns. I think I need to fully update the pc THEN install the nvidia drivers. Some weird issue there.

Back