Win 7 Install with Slipstream

r-486

Gawd
When my RAM comes in the mail, I'm going to install the 64-bit version of Win7. Which remastering software should I use as I see a few for Win7? Should I slipstream the RC version of SP1 or wait until the official version comes out for the first quarter?

Also should I use the 32-bit or 64-bit of XP for my VM? I have both.

Just install it and let it update. Windows 7 is not Windows XP

Why do you want to put XP on a VM? Anyway, if you feel you need to use 32-bit.

Just install it and let it update. Windows 7 is not Windows XP

What do you mean with that? The ISO image I extracted is 3GB kinda bloated if you ask me.

Why do you want to put XP on a VM? Anyway, if you feel you need to use 32-bit.

For compatibility problems as I've come across them plenty of times.

Windows 7 SP1 RTM has been finalized by Microsoft. It's only a matter of time before it get's leaked. I would use RT 7 Lite to customize your install an integrate the SP. I would not integrate a RC SP.

I'm in the final stages of ordering for a new system but am holding out for Sandy Bridge and for 7 SP1 so I can built it and use an integrated image all at once.

So I guess it's best to use 32-bit XP for my VM for compatibility reasons?

you don't want to integrate an RC SP, due to the fact that you will not be able to uninstall it, and you will never be able to install the RTM SP on top of the RC. So you'll be stuck; and likely if/when SP2 comes out, it may not install due to the RC being installed.

and use 32-bit XP.
no real reason to use 64-bit for just a VM of XP.

+1 on 32-bit XP, particularly if your purpose for running an XP VM is for compatibility.

I honestly think you'd run into more compatibility issues with 64-bit XP than you would with Windows 7.

Yes, the VM would be mostly for compatibility problems, because there are some apps I need that didn't work on Vista so I don't think they would work on Win7. I'll use the x86 version for XP. I'll use RT 7 Lite to add the updates and make changes.

When my RAM comes in the mail, I'm going to install the 64-bit version of Win7. Which remastering software should I use as I see a few for Win7? Should I slipstream the RC version of SP1 or wait until the official version comes out for the first quarter?

Also should I use the 32-bit or 64-bit of XP for my VM? I have both.

Don't forget that once you activate your Win 7 64-bit, Windows Update will download all outstanding fixes and patches. Not as elegant as a slipstreamed install, but the end result will be the same AND you won't run into any issues due to using a non-RTM version of SP 1.

A RC SP is not final. Why would you want to integrate something that's going to change and you have no way to change it?

Drivers for VMWare are all there for XP64 as a client. Nice to be able to bump the client RAM up above 3.5G.

Also, if you have Win 7 Ultimate, it comes with XP32 in a VM. You get it through WU , IIRC.

Yes, the VM would be mostly for compatibility problems, because there are some apps I need that didn't work on Vista so I don't think they would work on Win7. I'll use the x86 version for XP. I'll use RT 7 Lite to add the updates and make changes.

I'd take the time to test your non compatilbe apps, there's a chance you can make them work on win7.

Final SP1 RTM build is out in the wild for those interested. Here's the info:

x86
BUILD : 7601.17514.101119-1850
FILE : Windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe
SIZE : 563,934,504 byte
SHA-1 : C3516BC5C9E69FEE6D9AC4F981F5B95977A8A2FA
MD5 : 4BF28FC00D86C936C89E2D91EF46758B
CRC : 5EB0FA87

x64
FILE : Windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
SIZE : 947,070,088 byte
SHA-1 : 74865EF2562006E51D7F9333B4A8D45B7A749DAB
MD5 : 28D3932F714BF71D78E75D36AA2E0FB8
CRC : 068C79C6

This is only the service pack itself, no new OS .iso yet.

My opinion is to do a reverse integration method with WAIK instead of slipstreaming with a 3rd party program, but to each his own.

Or just wait a few days till an ISO appears from Microsoft that's Windows 7 <whatever> Service Pack 1. ;)

Microsoft releases the RTM of SP to OEM's months before they allow you to download it. If you don't use this one, it will be March until you can download it from Microsoft.
Final SP1 RTM build is out in the wild for those interested. Here's the info:

x86
FILE : Windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe
SIZE : 563,934,504 byte
SHA-1 : C3516BC5C9E69FEE6D9AC4F981F5B95977A8A2FA
MD5 : 4BF28FC00D86C936C89E2D91EF46758B
CRC : 5EB0FA87

x64
FILE : Windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
SIZE : 947,070,088 byte
SHA-1 : 74865EF2562006E51D7F9333B4A8D45B7A749DAB
MD5 : 28D3932F714BF71D78E75D36AA2E0FB8
CRC : 068C79C6

This is only the service pack itself, no new OS .iso yet.

My opinion is to do a reverse integration method with WAIK instead of slipstreaming with a 3rd party program, but to each his own.

I thought that sloppy method was only for Vista since it didn't support traditional slipstreaming? Anyways, 7 allows slipstreaming like XP did, so the whole argument is void anyways.

Also, the hashes that you provided are for Wave 1. The following link provides hashes for Wave 0 release, which is what I am using.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/...l-rtm-7601-17514-101119-1850-leaked-download/

Last edited:
I just installed this on a backup hard drive to test and no issues.

Now the next question is how do I slipstream it into the ISO I created off the dvd.

I have a copy of win 7 Ultimate I still haven't used, can you guys tell me what the install size ended up being for you?

A clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 is about 8.6GB, x64 is about 9.3GB, now given that installing Service Pack 1 will a) replace a lot of files (if you don't hit Windows Update first, which isn't recommended) and b) it'll back those files up while also backing up the new versions too in the WinSxS folder, I'd expect a full clean installation of Ultimate x86 to then be about 12-14GB, with x64 being 13-15GB - and that's just for the OS itself, with System Restore on (you can then go back and delete the restore points to shave off a gig or two afterward).

May have to do some testing to verify and confirm this but it's the kind of "size" I've seen in testing with the beta/RC service pack.

As for slipstreaming, that's not going to be easy since you can't effectively do it with Vista or Windows 7 anywhere nearly as easy as XP or Windows 2000 could do it. Literally you'd need to do a clean installation of the base OS (RTM), then do the installation of Service Pack 1 on top of that, then check for any potential updates, and when the machine is settled in, create a new WIM using the WAIK or OPK and then reburn all the info back out to a DVD.

Personally, I'm just going to wait till Microsoft drops an actual integrated Windows 7 Service Pack 1 DVD myself - it just ain't worth all the hassles.

As long as you have Windows 7 installed and you've been keeping it up-to-date from Windows Update, there's zero reason to do a new installation unless you're just itching to do it. SP1 doesn't add anything new to the OS, it's just a service pack as expected - if you're up-to-date you already have all that stuff running.

O ye, of little faith Average Joe.

I was able to slipstream it with the correct application no problem ;)

Process took about 45mins.

I've been updating the Version i'm running on my SSD with windows update. The above photo is on a secondary HD with a Win 7 install that hasn't been used since I got the SSD about 1 year so it hasn't been patched at all.

Everything worked out great tho so no complains.

Ok, so, I guess you'll be making a mega-post guide for everyone now, right? :D

And that guy Average Joe, always gets mixed up with me, and we are very different folks, I assure you. ;)

Ok, so, I guess you'll be making a mega-post guide for everyone now, right? :D

And that guy Average Joe, always gets mixed up with me, and we are very different folks, I assure you. ;)

That sounds like an idea but maybe it would deserve its own thread?

Precisely. ;)

I've made the attempt in the past with DSIM but was unsuccessful so I gave up on it, and again I was planning to wait till Microsoft drops a proper SP1 integrated ISO which shouldn't be too far off, but if you'd write a guide or mega-post or whatever, I'd be willing to give it a go and see how it works out myself.

I used Se7en Lite to integrate 7 SP1. I installed it on a test system and ran disk cleanup. It said there were 0Kb of Service Pack installation files to clean.

Thats weird because when I installed it and run a disc clean up on my drive it showed 500mb's of service pack data to be cleaned.
I integrated it then did a fresh install. If you just installed it over an existing Win 7 install, then yes there will be cleanup.

What do you mean with that? The ISO image I extracted is 3GB kinda bloated if you ask me.

Since when is 3GB for an OS ISO image considered bloated? In a world of cheap and plentiful storage, 3GB is nothing.

Consider that Windows 7 is still just a single layer DVD away from installation; OS X Snow Leopard is a dual layer with what, 3.6GB of printer drivers on it or something close? :D

Back