Will upgrading HSF allow for a higher OC?

superkdogg

Gawd
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
743
My Winnie (3000+, 0441) does up to about 2.7 without too much trouble, but it's pretty much stuck there regardless of what I try-modded bioses, etc. don't seem to help and voltage doesn't allow me to increase either. 1.5-1.6+ doesn't help at all.

I'm OCing with the stock cooler, with a well cooled case in a 20C room. The case temps are only like 23-4C.

My question is do you guys think that upgrading to a Zalman or a Thermalright HS might allow me to go up a few more MHz due to cooler temps, or would you guess that I'm pretty much stuck by the limits of the chip? BTW, it's running about 42-3 idle and about 55 load with 1.55 vCore right now. If I go down to like 289 htt, i can return to near stock voltage (1.42-3, my mobo is not 100% accurate on this) and the temps are about 10 degrees C lower.
 
i would prolly say that youve hit your cpu's limits :) but a having it wouldnt hurt to hav it running cooler ;)
 
N H O said:
i would prolly say that youve hit your cpu's limits :) but a having it wouldnt hurt to hav it running cooler ;)

That's kinda what I was thinking. And since I almost want to blow up my CPU to get into the Opto 165 or X2 thing, I am leaning toward not messing with it....unless somebody wants to buy a Winchester that I'll guarantee to do 2.6! J/K-I know, this is not an FS thread, really just a joke.
 
N H O said:
i would prolly say that youve hit your cpu's limits :) but a having it wouldnt hurt to hav it running cooler ;)

ditto

D
 
yeah - its about reached its limit.

of course you can always go to more exotic extremes...which may cost more...which may lend you to believe that you should have just got a new chip instead. :D
 
Back
Top